Chainring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Killiekevin

I currently ride a btwin triban 500 which now does about 40 miles per day for my commute.

It has a triple chainring, 50/39/30 and the middle and large chainrings now need replaced as they have turned into shark teeth.

I got the triple as it was my first road bike and thought it would be good for a beginner but I'm now doing substantial miles weekly and feel really good and confident on the bike and I have never used small ring at all so figure i don't really need it.

Im going to take it in to the local bike shop to get the chainrings replaced but I'm wondering if its worth changing to a double or is that too much hassle. Should I just keep the same and just not use the small one as I've been doing?

Also how much should I expect to pay to have the two rings replaced? Any ballpark figures?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
If the current set-up works for you, leave it as a triple. No need to add extra work and cost if it's not needed.

Expect to pay around £20 each for the chainrings and add labour costs for about an hour on top.

gbb

Legendary Member
Stronglight do good quality replacements, Durals being cheaper, Zircal better.
If its a workhorse, personally id just reppace the 50 and 39 and remove or leave the 30. Depends on you, a typical double will be 52 or 53/39...would you benefit that much ?
Durals tend tp be around £10 to £15 each I should think.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
What Jenkins said. But, are you happy with the options 39 + 53 give you, do you ever feel like you are running out of gears. If so, you may benefit from altering the replacement rings to 40 + 54 for instance. Ideal time to change as well as renew.

Tojo

Über Member
Try keeping up with your group wear as a whole and changing chain first, 2-3 chains per cassette and then your chainset will last longer, A mistake made by a good friend of mine when he asked me to have a look at his bike as it was skipping gears on a year old bike (given he does do about 300+ miles a week,and rode it till it all failed )......he was gutted in the wallet region, needless to say he now keeps up on his chain wear......:reading::cuppa:

I would keep a triple over a double, wider range and closer ratios if you want i.e. no big jumps in gears at the rear, for example my setup of a 50/38/26 12-27 (12-13-14-15-16-17-19-21-24-27) has a range of 25-110" the inner ring is used not just because its a lower gear but it gives better options than the 38x27-24-21.
+1 for Spa they do their own Zircal rings £11-17-22 for inner yo outer rings (I have a set in silver) http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s210p0/Parts-and-Accessories/Components-Gears-Chainrings-Spa

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Going back to the original question, if you really did want to go for a double it would need a new BB & chainset.

You could possibly/probably get by with the existing left shifter & front mech, I don't really know.

In either case, new chain. New cassette would probably be a good idea. Maybe jockey wheels too.

Top Bottom