Chainrings and chain length

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

leyton condor

Veteran
Evening all.
I currently have a semi compact chain set 52/36 which I would like to swap temporarily for 50/34 ( a hilly ride coming up)
Would I get away with keeping the chain at the same length or would I need to shorten it and if so by how many links?
Your advice would be much appreciated.

Ajax Bay

Guru
You'd have no problem and do not need to shorten the chain. To mitigate the idea you might have, never go small/small, in fact stay off the smallest two sprockets when you're on the 34 chainring. This will effectively keep the 'capacity requirement of the RD the same as when you are using the 52-36. The above assumes your chain is currently the right length and not too long.

OP
OP
L

leyton condor

Veteran
Thanks for your advice.
The chain is the original so should be spot on lengthwise.
I find the semi compact set up perfect for normal riding but am off to Wales where I really struggled last time and wanted to fit the smaller chainrings. I didn't really want to have to shorten the chain as I will be replacing the larger rings as soon as I get back this side of the border.
Thanks again.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Thanks for your advice.
The chain is the original so should be spot on lengthwise.
I find the semi compact set up perfect for normal riding but am off to Wales where I really struggled last time and wanted to fit the smaller chainrings. I didn't really want to have to shorten the chain as I will be replacing the larger rings as soon as I get back this side of the border.
Thanks again.
Wales isnt that hilly surely

Ajax Bay

Guru
A cassette with a larger largest sprocket must be an easier option than changing chainwheels/crankset, surely. Or are you already on the extreme of the the rear derailleur's capacity (largest sprocket)?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member

OP
OP
L

leyton condor

Veteran
I was given the smaller chainrings for free when I bought the bike so just a case of swapping them over.
I already have a 28 on the rear and don't thing the derailleur will take a bigger sprocket.
As for Wales not being very hilly, well parts of it are steep enough for me. We are heading to Rhayadr and doing a loop over the Devils Staircase and back through the Elan valley.
Keep it to your selves folks but last time I had to walk a few bits.
The shame☹️

Top Bottom