Chainrings for a Triban 3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Mileage has finally taken its toll and the middle & outer chainrings on my Triban 3 need replacing. For those who don't know the bike it runs a 30-39-50 Shimano 2300 set-up with a 5 bolt 130mm bolt circle.

While sticking with this gearing, can I mix and match upgrade components such as the Sora middle ring and a 105 outer ring which are the cheapest options, or would the Sora outer ring have to be used? Also are these compatible as I think they're 9 or 10 speed while the Triban is 8 speed.?

The third option, which wouldn't cost much more and is effectively a direct replacement is to purchase a complete Claris chainset and either have my LBS fit it, or to use the chainrings and keep the rest for spares.

Cost is to be kept to a minimum so can anyone confirm which of the above will work or suggest a cheaper option.

As long as the rings are the same BCD you can use anything you like. New chainset may require new BB as well...

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Mileage has finally taken its toll and the middle & outer chainrings on my Triban 3 need replacing. For those who don't know the bike it runs a 30-39-50 Shimano 2300 set-up with a 5 bolt 130mm bolt circle.

While sticking with this gearing, can I mix and match upgrade components such as the Sora middle ring and a 105 outer ring which are the cheapest options, or would the Sora outer ring have to be used? Also are these compatible as I think they're 9 or 10 speed while the Triban is 8 speed.?

The third option, which wouldn't cost much more and is effectively a direct replacement is to purchase a complete Claris chainset and either have my LBS fit it, or to use the chainrings and keep the rest for spares.

Cost is to be kept to a minimum so can anyone confirm which of the above will work or suggest a cheaper option.

I am not sure what chainset you have at present, but if I were you I would not get the Claris octalink you have linked to, but this version for square tapered bb (which might fit your current bb if it is 113mm square tapered and if not get a new 113mm UN5x bb for 68mm bb shell). Octalink bb's are pants and supply is not improving. An alternative and reasonable choice is something like this with a 110mm UN5x.

You should make your ring/chainset replacement decision after checking the state of your bb - just slip the chain off the chainset and spin/rock it and feel for roughness and play if any.

OP
OP
Jenkins

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Dusty - Thank you for confirming what I hoped - the Sora/105 mix was the cheapest way of getting the parts I needed and I've also got a spare email address to sign up for the Evans mailing list for £5 off.

R.A.F.N. - This is the original chainset fitted to the Triban 3 and the only reason I didn't link to it or the 2303 you have suggested is that both are out of stock and I'll need the parts very soon. Apart from being in stock I put the Claris item forward as I could have removed the rings and used them as it's difficult to find individual 2303/Claris rings (also hence the question about using the Sora or 105 pieces).

Thank you both for your assistance.

Top Bottom