CHAINS - kmc or sram ?

What chain you run ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blackgoff

I usually use a kmc but I've been offput by links just falling apart, literally...tho i have had great service from kmc's...

So my cycling mate recommends a SRAM chain...

What do you suggest ?...

gbb

Legendary Member
Any.
Sram, KMC, Shimano, Veloce...run em all, hardly any difference in any of them. I always got more or less the same mileage, whatever the make.

OP
OP
blackgoff

blackgoff

I have never had a KMC link come apart.

Ive not long been on 10sp. and a link splayed apart at the start of a ride then last wk i was on a coastal path and the chain just hit the floor into a sand section which didn't please me AT ALL !

Crazy bizarre happenings...

I've had links that're tough to join and some they're easy.. #godknows

Jenkins

Legendary Member
KMC or SRAM for me. Never had a broken chain, but I've had a couple of the KMC quick links break (both were 9 speed ones)

earlestownflya

i'm a big fan of kmc..they've been at it for donkeys years...the top end stuff beautiful...

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I have had side plates pop on both kmc and sram chains. I don't think you can generalise as to which is better. Just go for one at your budget. I suspect cost is down to weight, you would hope not at the expense of strength/longevity.

si_c

Guru
Had a SRAM chain fail on my MTB, KMC ones have been fine. I'd suggest not making buying decisions on the basis of anecdotes, they rarely bear any relationship to reality.

Chains like all manufactured goods are produced to a tolerance, and with the expectation of a certain life before failure. As with everything, some will fail early, some will last many times longer than their expected lifespan. Buy whatever you like the look of and/or is cheapest at the time.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
KMC is a great chain, as is SRAM, I just like the price and availability of the KMC chains. I've never had either of those fail. Nor do I see much qualitative or performance difference. Care is more important than origin, I believe, with a name brand chain.

D

Deleted member 23692

After being a long time KMC user I'm back with Shimano at the moment.. albeit joined with KMC quick links.

Top Bottom