Chains - What do you do ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Uncle Phil said:
1/8" chains just don't break.

I have broken a 1/8" chain, it was old and had had a hard life. It happened on the first fixed I had, a Pollard I converted in the late eighties. I had just left the house and was barely into double figure speed but accelerating hard, the chain breaking almost threw me over the right side of the handle bar, then the chain wrapped around the back wheel locked it up and I started to travel sideways and come to a rapid halt. Just the exciting start to the day I did'nt need.

bonj2

Joe24 said:
Its fine to have one on, they are different to the ones ive used before.
You dont have to have a hand operated back brake on a fixed, because its fixed that counts as the back brake.
If you have a 3/32 sprocket on you can use a normal chainwhip. For the Lockring you can use a BB lockring tool. If you didnt know that already.
If you have a 1/8 sprocket you need a 1/8 chainwhip, so i always use a 3/32 sprocket with a 1/8 chain and chainring.

Oh, and if anyone does want any 1/8th chain to keep for just in case and they dont have any just lieing around, i have a long length that was on my bike before. It needs a clean and has abit of rust on it from sitting around but it will clean up fine and be fine to keep as spare. PM me if you want a few links, its just sat in my shed at the moment. Ive thought about making a 1/8th chainwhip out of it, but never got round to it.

I've got some spare 1/8 chain i think but what is the equivalent of a powerlink for 1/8 chain? where do you get those from? presumably I can't use one of my 9 speed powerlink, or do i just need a 7 speed powerlink if such a thing exists?

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
bonj said:
I've got some spare 1/8 chain i think but what is the equivalent of a powerlink for 1/8 chain? where do you get those from? presumably I can't use one of my 9 speed powerlink, or do i just need a 7 speed powerlink if such a thing exists?

8 speed powerlink for 1/8th chain Halfrauds sell them in a pack of 3 for less than £3.00

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Will an 8 speed one fit a 1/8 chain? 8 Speed is 3/32 isnt it, so it will be too narrow for 1/8
Or am i just more confused then normal?

bonj2

Joe24 said:
Will an 8 speed one fit a 1/8 chain? 8 Speed is 3/32 isnt it, so it will be too narrow for 1/8

no, you're right - FFFF was probably thinking i use a 3/32 chain

rustychisel

Joe24 said:

It sounds a bit muddly, but you're right.

The measurement refers to the distance between the chains inner plates (ie thickness of the sprocket teeth, essentially).

7 speed, 8 speed and 9 speed are all 3/32 chains

1/8 is track standard. A 1/8 chain will fit on a 3/32 sprocket (and might slop side to side a bit, thus accounting for extra noise in the drivetrain), a 3/32 chain will not fit on 1/8 sprocket.

Greenbank

Über Member
fossyant said:
OK getting my new fixed iminently.

Can you get quick links for fixed 1/8th chains ? What do you do if a chain snaps - walk... or do you carry spare links and a multi tool/chain splitter.

Depends on the problem. I have a chain splitter, some spare links of chain and a bunch of Taya Sigma SC33 master-links (from Bikehut) along with the ones that come with the SRAM PC1-N chains that I use.

It's unlikely that the chain will snap cleanly enough that you can simply put it back together with a master-link. That means a chain tool is necessary. If a section of chain got mangled then I'd need the spare links to replace the small section.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The LBS said he carries spares in the shop (it's not far off my work route) and more importantly, he said 'you won't snap that chain'...... I've never snapped a chain anyway, but it's a bit more critical on a fixed..... Got an Izumi chain, and it's 'well chunky' compared to the road bikes' chains....

Top Bottom