Chains - What do you do ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
OK getting my new fixed iminently.

Can you get quick links for fixed 1/8th chains ? What do you do if a chain snaps - walk... or do you carry spare links and a multi tool/chain splitter.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
fossyant said:

Can you get quick links for fixed 1/8th chains ? What do you do if a chain snaps - walk... or do you carry spare links and a multi tool/chain splitter.

Yes, you can get them. They are the click ones if you know what i mean? Got a plate on one side with the rivet things in, tyhen you put a plate over that and a spring one to hold it.
I have a chain tool in my saddle bag incase my chain ever brakes, i should probably put a quick link in aswell just incase.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
fossyant said:

You popping over to show it off then at the next Cycle to Work day? :biggrin::biggrin:

I'm trying to convince the Wifey that I need a fixed... so far I'd say she was bordering on apathetic. :tongue:

Joe24

Sh4rkyBloke said:
You popping over to show it off then at the next Cycle to Work day? :biggrin::biggrin:

I'm trying to convince the Wifey that I need a fixed... so far I'd say she was bordering on apathetic. :tongue:

You do need a fixed.
The main reasons to use are easy:
Fixeds cost less to run because less things go wrong. Because of this, you use your normal bike less, which brings down the cost of that, so overall you spend less money then what you normally would.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Joe24 said:
You do need a fixed.
The main reasons to use are easy:
Fixeds cost less to run because less things go wrong. Because of this, you use your normal bike less, which brings down the cost of that, so overall you spend less money then what you normally would.
Yeah, apart from the actual cost of the bike... oh, and then the clipless pedals, oh and I need some new shorts as these don't go with the colour scheme... etc. etc. I don't think she'd buy that reasoning. :biggrin:

Joe24

Sh4rkyBloke said:
Yeah, apart from the actual cost of the bike... oh, and then the clipless pedals, oh and I need some new shorts as these don't go with the colour scheme... etc. etc. I don't think she'd buy that reasoning. :biggrin:

Shhhh, dont tell her about all of that!!!! You just need to sneak all that in.
Or build one up slowly, and just bring odd bits in every so often and say you got given it/found it and hope she doesnt realise, then wheel out your new bike and ride off, very fast before anything is said;)

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I carry a chain tool, a couple of quick links (as Joe described) and a spare 5 link section of chain. Thankfully I have not needed any of it out and about.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Sorted guys - will nab some links off the LBS.... and blag a quick link...sprocket remover (or will the old BB remover tools work ?), and a track nut spanner.

Sharky - yeh it will be at the June National one for us lot, and I do the monthly 'first Weds of the month rides as well. It's my first new bike for 15 years.....

4F

fossyant said:
Sorted guys - will nab some links off the LBS.... and blag a quick link...sprocket remover (or will the old BB remover tools work ?),

Yep that should be the same fit. I don't actually have a lockring on mine however but do have a back brake so it is road legal, not that I have used it since the first day and my first downhill :ohmy:

bonj2

I've read that you should never have a power link on a fixed but I suspect it might be received wisdom/guff, 'cos if you're leg braking the chain isn't compressing, just the bottom of it taught rather than the top.

Joe24

bonj said:
I've read that you should never have a power link on a fixed but I suspect it might be received wisdom/guff, 'cos if you're leg braking the chain isn't compressing, just the bottom of it taught rather than the top.

Its fine to have one on, they are different to the ones ive used before.
You dont have to have a hand operated back brake on a fixed, because its fixed that counts as the back brake.
If you have a 3/32 sprocket on you can use a normal chainwhip. For the Lockring you can use a BB lockring tool. If you didnt know that already.
If you have a 1/8 sprocket you need a 1/8 chainwhip, so i always use a 3/32 sprocket with a 1/8 chain and chainring.

Oh, and if anyone does want any 1/8th chain to keep for just in case and they dont have any just lieing around, i have a long length that was on my bike before. It needs a clean and has abit of rust on it from sitting around but it will clean up fine and be fine to keep as spare. PM me if you want a few links, its just sat in my shed at the moment. Ive thought about making a 1/8th chainwhip out of it, but never got round to it.

4F

bonj said:

It's not a power link as such but a one time joining link which clicks into place

Top Bottom