Chainsaw experts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
It's an easy fix with the help of the excellent good folks in here :okay:. Total bill for parts £36 (including delivery and VAT) - just ordered. Total bill at the Garden Suppliers ~£80 including parts and labour and VAT? That's a lot of inner tubes I can now afford ^_^. Also I'd have to climb in a car to go to the fixer's and do that again to pick it up (as the machine is a bit tricky to balance on my bike). To some extent it's the car bit I dislike the most.

Anyway WD - you may, if you wish, fit the new parts for me :thumbsup:

Mmm. Thanks for the offer, but I think i will pass. ^_^

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Oh good news. To check if the chain oil is being used: point the saw at the tree you are about to work on and run it so the chain is in use. You should see evidence of oil, finely sprayed onto the area.

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Oh good news. To check if the chain oil is being used: point the saw at the tree you are about to work on and run it so the chain is in use. You should see evidence of oil, finely sprayed onto the area.
Ah yes- I remember doing that once upon a time. Obviously need to do that again. The machine has always needed oil topping up so I thought little about it. Perhaps making an incorrect assumption. I have cleaned out all the oily sawdust that might have been a problem now. Maybe need to do that more often :thumbsup:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
BTW Just for anyone watching this thread, The chain oil is to lube the chain on the bar, not the chain in the wood so not that much is used. I top up this oil every 2nd or 3rd time I refuel with two stroke. I also clear out the oily sawdust every time I put the saw to bed at the end of the day. Well except twice, when I needed coffee more than I needed a clean saw.

The sharper the cutting teeth, the less friction and better/safer use all round. Occasionally you need to file the depth gauge down on the chain as the top plate of the cutting teeth wear down. Not too much or the saw ‘bites’ too aggressively.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Ah yes- I remember doing that once upon a time. Obviously need to do that again. The machine has always needed oil topping up so I thought little about it. Perhaps making an incorrect assumption. I have cleaned out all the oily sawdust that might have been a problem now. Maybe need to do that more often :thumbsup:

You should do that every time you use it.

My chainsaw is over 30 years old and was at least second hand when FIL bought it. The deep gouges on the chain catcher are a good indicator of the damage a broken chain could do.

classic33

Leg End Member
It's an easy fix with the help of the excellent good folks in here :okay:. Total bill for parts £36 (including delivery and VAT) - just ordered. Total bill at the Garden Suppliers ~£80 including parts and labour and VAT? That's a lot of inner tubes I can now afford ^_^. Also I'd have to climb in a car to go to the fixer's and do that again to pick it up (as the machine is a bit tricky to balance on my bike). To some extent it's the car bit I dislike the most.

Anyway WD - you may, if you wish, fit the new parts for me :thumbsup:
Cut out close passes!
20130222-095444.jpg

OP
OP
twentysix by twentyfive

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
The sharper the cutting teeth, the less friction and better/safer use all round. Occasionally you need to file the depth gauge down on the chain as the top plate of the cutting teeth wear down. Not too much or the saw ‘bites’ too aggressively.

Probably need to sharpen my chain too. Although a new chain (ordered) will take me some of the way. I've got the appropriate file. Trouble is I'm a tad lazy with this :blush: . I know that's the wrong attitude so I'll try harder in future :okay: .

Top Bottom