A simple question for VPN experts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I spend a bit of time reading US news and political comment websites due to a morbid interest in Mr Trump's breathtaking ghastliness. The problem is that over the last few years, the news sites have increasingly limited readers to a number of articles each month that can be read free. Once you have reached your limit, they want money, often quite a lot.

If I got a VPN, do you think I could avoid this problem?

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
You could try changing countries but it's also possible that the cookies that the sites set on your pc/laptop that limits views.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You could try changing countries but it's also possible that the cookies that the sites set on your pc/laptop that limits views.

It's a dim memory but in earlier versions of Windows it used to be possible to "not allow" cookies. Is this feature available in Windows 10?

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
If I got a VPN, do you think I could avoid this problem?

No, a VPN makes no difference for sites which restrict free access to a specific number of articles. That would only help with sites which seek to limit access based on your location. E.g. I use my VPN to access Italian tv channels that would otherwise be inaccessible for me.

What you need to use is www.12ft.io which gets past most paywalls. Dead simple to use, and free.

OP
OP
slowmotion

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
No, a VPN makes no difference for sites which restrict free access to a specific number of articles. That would only help with sites which seek to limit access based on your location. E.g. I use my VPN to access Italian tv channels that would otherwise be inaccessible for me.

What you need to use is www.12ft.io which gets past most paywalls. Dead simple to use, and free.

Thanks for that. I'll have a look at that tool.

Edit: I just tried www.12ft.io with my blocked article in The Atlantic on mass shootings. It worked!
https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https://www.theatlantic.com/books/archive/2023/05/guns-america-photographs-bloodbath-nation-book/673625/

Last edited:

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
If you want to try a VPN but don't want the stupid subscription lengths that the likes of Nord and Express insist on , try Mullvad. After reading too much, found it was the best for me. Its pay as you and is always the same monthly charge (whatever amount you choose to top up by), about £4.51 or something. You don't have to enter any details, just the code you get if you purchase a tenner/fiver or something into the app you download. If it doesn't work for what your wanting you have lost very little, unlike £80 or whatever for the others mentioned.

Have to switch it off to access this site though, if its on it says my IP address has been blocked. Apart from that it is good for everything else I use it for, this is the only site it ever says that on. I like how you have to set it up yourself, its simple though. Things like start with Windows and other options. Its very discreet with no crap at all about offers etc. Can use on multiple devices, phone, fire tv etc. Set different virtual locations and things if you wanted to stream US Netflix or something, not that I've tried that.

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
If you want to try a VPN but don't want the stupid subscription lengths that the likes of Nord and Express insist on , try Mullvad. After reading too much, found it was the best for me. Its pay as you and is always the same monthly charge (whatever amount you choose to top up by), about £4.51 or something. You don't have to enter any details, just the code you get if you purchase a tenner/fiver or something into the app you download. If it doesn't work for what your wanting you have lost very little, unlike £80 or whatever for the others mentioned.

Have to switch it off to access this site though, if its on it says my IP address has been blocked. Apart from that it is good for everything else I use it for, this is the only site it ever says that on. I like how you have to set it up yourself, its simple though. Things like start with Windows and other options. Its very discreet with no crap at all about offers etc. Can use on multiple devices, phone, fire tv etc. Set different virtual locations and things if you wanted to stream US Netflix or something, not that I've tried that.

I’ve found NordVPN pretty good, and it doesn’t cause me any problem accessing this site. It does offer a genuine 30-day money back guarantee if you use it and don’t like it.
I’ve just renewed at a cost of £3.22/month.

Horses for courses, I suppose.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I’ve found NordVPN pretty good, and it doesn’t cause me any problem accessing this site. It does offer a genuine 30-day money back guarantee if you use it and don’t like it.
I’ve just renewed at a cost of £3.22/month.

Horses for courses, I suppose.

I'll maybe try that one thanks, didn't realise it was so simple to cancel. Just knew nothing about them at the time and didn't want to commit to anything. Prefer to be able to get out of something when I want, worth paying a little bit more for. Just thought the OP could try it for the sake of a fiver. Just changed my virtual location to Switzerland and can access this site no problem. Wouldn't work set to London, who knows...

Last edited:
Top Bottom