Chainsaw

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I think you are partly asking for advice on buying a new saw. I happily recommend the Stihl battery powered range. I've had one for three years.

I've never used it to fell anything large but have taken down small trees. It is a tool which is intended for garden work and logging up. It will happily get through a 10-12" diameter trunk. You get around 25-30 minutes run time per charge. Doesn't sound much but I find it gives me around three hours working time - the saw isn't constantly running, there's stacking, clearing, etc. all happening at the same time.

I usually do a morning's work, stop for lunch, charge the battery and then start again for an afternoon.

Can't add anything about the battery powered ones as mine is petrol-powered, with a 14 inch bar and easy start, but you won't go wrong with a Stihl - they really are worth the money.

Mine takes a lot of use and abuse as I have, well, a LOT of trees. And solid fuel heating.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I've gone over to a mains electric one (Oregon from Screwfix) as I don't cut away from home anymore. It has plenty of power, 2400 W, and a 14" bar so I can cut some hefty trunks. It was just under £100. Suits my needs as I just log and split wood nowadays, after I collect it from where I work, where someone else fells it.
I should really sell my petrol one, but, like my ancient bikes, it has given me such good service, I can't bring myself to do it!

I should really sell my petrol one, but, like my ancient bikes, it has given me such good service, I can't bring myself to do it!

Don't sell it, you'll regret it at some point. You never know when someone will need a tree felling or chopping up.

I too use an electric at home in the garden as my petrol Husky is a tad noisy:ohmy: I do have 230v in the forest though as we take a petrol genny to power the band saw and splitter:okay:

This is a blades and a halves worth of cutting (last years haul) 3 people a days work for 20 cubic metres:okay:

Slow down......

Have you put oil in it ????

Chain saws go through an alarming amount of oil, i can burn through a whole reservoir of oil easily in a single days work in the forest.

But also: strip the bar and chain off, clean them, check for debris behind the snatch brake (the spike at the front on top of the chain). Check the filter on the oil reservoir (it's usually just a piece of sponge) then reassemble, set the chain tension and top up the oil. That's the basics anyone should do before going near a chainsaw to be honest.

Chain sharpening is quite easy to do but you do need a special tool unless you really good with a triangular file:wacko:
We heat with wood so I regularly have to sharpen a chain.
I've never seen it done with a triangular file?
I use the correct diameter round file. A couple of strokes after two fills of fuel and it's never blunt.
I watched a tree surgeon cut down and cut up a big Oak and this is what he did so I just copied his method.

We heat with wood so I regularly have to sharpen a chain.
I've never seen it done with a triangular file?
I use the correct diameter round file. A couple of strokes after two fills of fuel and it's never blunt.
I watched a tree surgeon cut down and cut up a big Oak and this is what he did so I just copied his method.

Sorry yes, absolutely a round file and much easier with a file guide. Not used one for a long while as i have a cheapo chain grinder

Proto

Legendary Member
I think you are partly asking for advice on buying a new saw. I happily recommend the Stihl battery powered range. I've had one for three years.

I've never used it to fell anything large but have taken down small trees. It is a tool which is intended for garden work and logging up. It will happily get through a 10-12" diameter trunk. You get around 25-30 minutes run time per charge. Doesn't sound much but I find it gives me around three hours working time - the saw isn't constantly running, there's stacking, clearing, etc. all happening at the same time.

I usually do a morning's work, stop for lunch, charge the battery and then start again for an afternoon.

Same here, Stihl battery powered chainsaw, and it’s been brilliant. I bought two batteries. One battery will last me long enough before I need to stop for coffee, swap battery and carry on. Nice and light, super easy to use. Needs to be kept sharp but performs really well.

I use it mainly for firewood, but I’ve cut a couple of small oak trees down, and section felled ash trees up to 350mm diameter or so.

I need a more powerful saw for some of the other stuff, can’t justify a pro level saw, so I’m looking at the Husqvarna 130/135 or Stihl 181.

Same here, Stihl battery powered chainsaw, and it’s been brilliant. I bought two batteries. One battery will last me long enough before I need to stop for coffee, swap battery and carry on. Nice and light, super easy to use. Needs to be kept sharp but performs really well.

I use it mainly for firewood, but I’ve cut a couple of small oak trees down, and section felled ash trees up to 350mm diameter or so.

I need a more powerful saw for some of the other stuff, can’t justify a pro level saw, so I’m looking at the Husqvarna 130/135 or Stihl 181.

I have a Stihl 181C with a 14 inch bar, and it's a cracking piece of kit - big enough and powerful enough to tackle fairly large stuff, but small enough and well-balanced enough for a petite lady (me) to handle it without rupturing herself. It takes everything that I throw at it. I'd heartily recommend one.

But do get the version with the quick start. Life is a lot less sweary with a quick start. ^_^

Top Bottom