chainset advice please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jags

Guru
got any knowledge on triple chainsets,as in good,excellent, crap.
i was thinking of xt 770 shimano, looks good and i like the gearing 48/36/26.but is it any good.im building up my new touring bike ,i want to put good gear on,im hopeing this will be a one off build.
oh by the way im not made of money,(so the wife keeps telling me),but i do want to get the drive train right. thanks in advance,,

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
The XT is absolutely fine. But at £100 you do have other options. Stronglight and TA have been popular with tourists for years. You will be able to have greater selection of the rings sizes. I manage to get 24 - 50 work with XT changers.

There was also nothing wrong with square taper bottom brackets. It might be worth checking out what the implications are about spares, longevity, tool requirements, etc, etc.

vbc

I have a Stronglight Impact triple on my Kaffenback which I got from Spa Cycles.
It was available as a 28/38/48 but they changed that to a 28/40/50 at my request, for about £10 extra for each change, if my memory serves me right. They're available in several crank lengths (165mm for my stubby legs) and mine fits a standard square drive Shimano bottom bracket. Not the best quality but plenty good enough for me so far.

bike+ have some good offers on campag triple centaur (£45) and record (£80)chainsets, though they are 50,40,30 rings.
i would imagine that they will work with shimano ,though others may know better.

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
thanks folks for that,my new frame came with square taper bottom bracket,any idea what ta chainset i should go for.
the xt shimano is pricey wright enough and if i buy it, it will mean ill haft to get the frame faced( lot of hassle) .
i dont really fancy mixing ,campag with shimano,it will be one or other.

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
no such luck im afraid,i emailed sjs about the xt chainset ,they said i would need to get the frame ,bb faced or the new chainset would have a short life.thats why im looking for a chainset that will work ,perfectly with the bb i have in the frame (does that make sense)square taper.
maby ill change the bottom bracket,any thoughts thanks

If it came with a BB fitted, they would surely have faced the frame before fitting it ?

vbc

They only need to face the BB shell for the new style outboard bearing bottom brackets.

Anything from TA to fit a (Shimano) square taper BB will probably be more than the XT chainset. Have a look at some Stronglight stuff or see if you can find some old stock Shimano square taper BBs on t'internet.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I think that square taper chainsets aren't fussy about being faced, whereas the new fangled hollowtech 2 / Ultratorque things are. Although I don't understand why.
Cross posted with above!

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
ive abandoned the square taper its to much hassle. i got a price to supply and fit new xt 188 euros.its either that or go with new bottom bracket and chainset,so can anyone recommend one

Top Bottom