Chainset advice request.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ethan5

Hi, I got a road bike off ebay and I found that the rear hub needed replacing only after I had the bearings replaced. I changed the cassette to an 11/28 Shimano and replaced the chain. For Christmas I thought that I'd replace the chainrings (I haven't run the bike much since to save stretching the chain on the old rings.), the present ones are 52/42 130 BCD. My question is, what would be the optimal sizes for a good range of gears with that cassette? I thought that I'd replace the original worn 12/32 (I think.) cassette to raise the gears a touch. I was considering going for 53/44. I think I'll get a pair of Stronglight Durals to keep the cost down. I am a newbie to cycling and I would be grateful for your advice, I'd just like the bike to be set up right.
Thanks for your time.

fixedfixer

Veteran
There is an online gear calculator on Sheldon Browns site To answer to your question we'd need to know what you mean by good range of gears and what you want to use the bike for - very fit cyclists racing would use a different range to someone on a loaded touring bike in a hilly area. Going for a larger front set will make the gears higher. Have a play around with the gear calculator and see what you think. Plus you'll need to consider the derailleurs - they need to be compatible with the number of teeth on the chainring / sprockets. Stronglights are a good choice mind.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Yep go and have a look at Sheldon's site.

The only bit of advice I'd add is that if you have any hills nearby you may struggle as a newbie with 53/44. I ride a 53/39 which copes ok with most hills.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I changed from 52/42 rings on my older (became my winter) bike to 48/38 with 12-28 cassette (7speed). This gave me almost the same range as on my newer bike 10 speed compact setup, 50-34, 11-25. I don't really need a 120 (50 x11) gear, and 48 x 12 gives me 105 anyway.

OP
OP
E

ethan5

Thanks for your reply but how do you judge the gearing results of Sheldon's calculator to decide if your set up is a feasible combination? I'm just using it for fitness 3/4 20 miles per week, I wanted to tweek it while I renew parts that's all. Thanks for your time.
There is an online gear calculator on Sheldon Browns site To answer to your question we'd need to know what you mean by good range of gears and what you want to use the bike for - very fit cyclists racing would use a different range to someone on a loaded touring bike in a hilly area. Going for a larger front set will make the gears higher. Have a play around with the gear calculator and see what you think. Plus you'll need to consider the derailleurs - they need to be compatible with the number of teeth on the chainring / sprockets. Stronglights are a good choice mind.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I have a 52/42 chainset and have recently bought a 39T chainring off ebay. I'm looking forward to getting up our local inclines (not steep enough or long enough to be classed as hills) a little easier. I'll let you know when it comes and I get it fitted. (If we get snow on Thurs it will probably be next week :whistle: ).

Top Bottom