Chainset help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jann71

Veteran
I'm thinking of changing my chainset from a double to a compact and have a few questions.

My current setup is Campag Centaur 10 speed 53/39 with 170 cranks. 12-27 cassette. Square taper BB.

Ideally I would change to triple but think this would need new front mech and shifters? (Road bike)

Am I likely to notice much difference if I changed to 172.5 cranks? Seems to be lack of 170 at decent price?

Have seen a Campag compact for about £100. Is a stronglight or Fsa just as good at £50 or worth spending extra?

Thanks

Ps its hilly here :biggrin:

I'm thinking of changing my chainset from a double to a compact and have a few questions.

My current setup is Campag Centaur 10 speed 53/39 with 170 cranks. 12-27 cassette. Square taper BB.

Ideally I would change to triple but think this would need new front mech and shifters? (Road bike)

Am I likely to notice much difference if I changed to 172.5 cranks? Seems to be lack of 170 at decent price?

Have seen a Campag compact for about £100. Is a stronglight or Fsa just as good at £50 or worth spending extra?

Thanks

Ps its hilly here :biggrin:

You'd have to consider a lot of things indeed. New crankset shifters etc.

When it comes to crank length, you should go to your local bike shop and let them measure your inseam.

Top Bottom