Chainset mod options.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hmmmm, I've just thought of a business opportunity...…..

Marketing marketing smokin - you need to give your system a clever nifty name to suggest that you have been visited by the cycling angel one dark night and granted a special special insight not available to mere mortals.

Then, when you have too much business you can franchise your (insert nifty name) system.

My take - anything justified for TDF folk.

Beginners could maybe help with some advice.

Anyone else you can figure it out from being in touch with your body and having existing bikes to measure against.

If needs be (and I know they are considered ugly by some folk but no matter) use an adjustable stem for a while.

I mistrust anything involving advanced maths in this area.

And if it employs a plumb line, forget it.

I had a bike fit (refundable) as part of a bike purchase and after using said bike a while went back to my own sense/ideas/feeling, and now all much better.

To OP - have you considered new socks?

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Some right old poppy cock chat on here. I can’t believe I know a few people & my brother spending over £4000 on a bicycle and not £100 for a pro bike fit as well. A guy on a Carrera TDF from Halfords years back that fits will be faster than a similar guy on an ill fitting Pinerello Dogma F12.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I don't know about anyone else, but I find my fit changes over time as I get fitter/fatter and ride differently.

I'd suggest getting some cheap second hand cranks that are the right length (ask at your club if you are in one, and you may even find someone who has some spare), and transferring the chainrings over to them to try. If you feel that they improve things, then go and get the nice shiny new ones. The old cranks will probably fetch similar to what you pay for them, so it's a cheap and easy way to see if you feel better with the shorter cranks.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Some right old poppy cock chat on here. I can’t believe I know a few people & my brother spending over £4000 on a bicycle and not £100 for a pro bike fit as well. A guy on a Carrera TDF from Halfords years back that fits will be faster than a similar guy on an ill fitting Pinerello Dogma F12.

Didn't you pay for the optional water bottle usage pro fit ?

freiston

Veteran
Will you have to change your cranks again when you put your thicker winter socks on in a few months time? 1mm might not sound like a lot...

CXRAndy

Guru
Can I state for the record, I don't want to watch Milzy's wife sliding into a paddling pool full of custard.

Pay video channel, could make a fortune :whistle:

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Will you have to change your cranks again when you put your thicker winter socks on in a few months time? 1mm might not sound like a lot...
The thing is when I’m at 170mm all that is factored in within acceptable tolerances.
I’ll be changing from a compact to a semi-compact anyway, so may as well buy a brand new one & be done with it.

Top Bottom