Chainstay protectors on road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simon.r

Person
What do people use, if anything?

My rides often involve a bit of very gentle off-road and a bit of bouncing up and down kerbs, which is enough to get the chain hitting the chainstay.

When I was MTBing I used the neoprene / velcro protectors, but they seem a bit OTT for road bikes.

Any neat solutions?

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Helicopter tape

If you want to be hardcore and get admiring, knowing glances from lesser cyclists with helicopter tape or even, cough cough, custom-made protectors, then you have to use an old bicycle tube. Not just any tube, but a real used one with plenty of patches. Roll this tube along the chainstay by folding the starting point underneath the coil and go all the back to the rear drop-out where you finish it by tucking the loose end underneath. No fake solutions like cable ties or tape. Just pure, unadulterated tube, front to back.

pawl

Legendary Member
No. Helicopter tape is clear/translucent and designed for protecting the leading edge of helicopter rotors. Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side and a dark side and holds the universe together.

Thank for that Tim.Is it available in D.I Y stores.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
No. As far as I know its a bike specific product that you get only from bike stuff sellers.
No it's not...it's readily available on 't interweb..it was originally designed to prevent wind erosion on helicopter blades on big "out to sea" twin rotor jobbies that do thousands of hours in the air, but 3M discovered that a whole subset of people wanted to use it to protect cars from scratches around wheel wells, cyclists protecting bike frames, boat owners wanting to reduce mooring markings...I use it to make stencils when electro etching hand made knife blades and axe heads...the list goes on....

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
If you want to be hardcore and get admiring, knowing glances from lesser cyclists with helicopter tape or even, cough cough, custom-made protectors, then you have to use an old bicycle tube. Not just any tube, but a real used one with plenty of patches. Roll this tube along the chainstay by folding the starting point underneath the coil and go all the back to the rear drop-out where you finish it by tucking the loose end underneath. No fake solutions like cable ties or tape. Just pure, unadulterated tube, front to back.
I know somebody that wrapped the whole frame like that, to protect it from damage and so nobody would see it was an expensive make for stealing :wacko:

Top Bottom