Chainsuck, and how to counter it, suggestions please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Word. I'm told in another place that appaz my wippermann chain fetish ain't helping either. It's the crinkly side plates wot dun it guv.

Quick look at the rings in daylight this morning made me wince.

So on my pay day shopping list is

New 9 speed chain (any recommendations lovely peeps?)

Deore 32T middle ring in steel
Inner 22T ring in steel.
Some Finish Line Dry chain lube.

Do I go ghetto and make a chainstay protector out of an old inner tube or buy one?

I like SRAM, PC971 comes with a reusable power link and are, just, well, my chain of choice. RRP getting on for £30 but eBay is your friend. PC971 is a sort of SLX equivalent, 951=Deore, 991=XT as a rough guide.

This is a bargain
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sram-PC-9...sure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item23245f699c

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
managed to get Truativ steel middle and inner for the same sorts of prices as those from Shimano, thus keeping the Boardman a Shimano-free zone.

PC971 it is then. I've yet to be convinced higher end chains offer any cost effective advantage three seasons of the year.

Cubist

Still wavin'
managed to get Truativ steel middle and inner for the same sorts of prices as those from Shimano, thus keeping the Boardman a Shimano-free zone.

PC971 it is then. I've yet to be convinced higher end chains offer any cost effective advantage three seasons of the year.
No weight advantage from chains, they nearly all weigh the same, and the only real difference in the various SRAM ones is the colour of the plates and links, from matt grey and grey, to sparkly nickel effect.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
No weight advantage from chains, they nearly all weigh the same, and the only real difference in the various SRAM ones is the colour of the plates and links, from matt grey and grey, to sparkly nickel effect.
I want a gold coloured one. Failing that, black.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
CRC were £3 more for the PC971 and had a PG990 11 - 32 on a tarty gold carrier for £40 so I've decided to bite the bullet and renew the whole transmission.

Now I need to stop thinking about going 2 x 9 on the HT.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Forty quid? That's seriously cheap.

2x9? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
007.jpg

Cubist

Still wavin'
What ratio's are you running?

On the one hand, for the next few months the chain won't touch the big ring. On the other why not just leave it there? I'm not afraid of it hitting me in an off, it rarely hits anything, and the chain's only very rarely unshipped.

Here they are in all their cheap glory http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=40173
36/22 and an 11-32 at the back.

Next time anything wears out I'm going to put a 24 on the front and an 11-34, just to see what it does.

I was persuaded by the argument that points out that I'm missing out on about 1.5 top gears: 44/11, = 122", 44/13= 103.2", 44/15= 89.5", whereas 36/11=99.8" 36/13=84.5".
And I don't need to worry about bent or broken teeth or a bitten leg.

I'm tempted to get one of those in case they sell out and put the price up!

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
36/22 and an 11-32 at the back.

Next time anything wears out I'm going to put a 24 on the front and an 11-34, just to see what it does.

I'm tempted to get one of those in case they sell out and put the price up.
toying with the very same idea(s)

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
See my edit for gear calculations
useful ta. can't remember the last time I needed to use 44/11. Probs when I last used HT to commute and found the snow had thawed on the way home.

Did you adopt a 2xn front shifter? I'll leave my X0 3x9 gripshift left hand as is. Thumb can't cope with SRAM trigger on that hand. My rebellious streak enjoys the asymmetry my OCD hates.

Cubist

Still wavin'
useful ta. can't remember the last time I needed to use 44/11. Probs when I last used HT to commute and found the snow had thawed on the way home.

Did you adopt a 2xn front shifter? I'll leave my X0 3x9 gripshift left hand as is. Thumb can't cope with SRAM trigger on that hand. My rebellious streak enjoys the asymmetry my OCD hates.
No, left the shifter as it was. The double front mech is a must for a tart like me though, the cage diameter follows the edge of the bashguard so well.

Top Bottom