Chamfering BB shell for threadless BB?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

XiShT

I've read some threads on here about the need to apparently file the BB shell at a 45 degree angle to ensure the threadless BB sits snugly into the BB shell, while some other threads suggest that no additional faffing is required when installing the threadless BB.

The bike shop has offered to order one in for me and fit it and I'm leaning towards doing that even though it'll cost more because of the possible extra work. Was thinking of getting a YST threadless BB for about 16 quid or this one for 13 quid of eBay. Do any of these require filing (if it can be determined at all), or will I/the bike shop just need to take the plunge and find out?

Thanks

I've read some threads on here about the need to apparently file the BB shell at a 45 degree angle to ensure the threadless BB sits snugly into the BB shell, while some other threads suggest that no additional faffing is required when installing the threadless BB.

The bike shop has offered to order one in for me and fit it and I'm leaning towards doing that even though it'll cost more because of the possible extra work. Was thinking of getting a YST threadless BB for about 16 quid or this one for 13 quid of eBay. Do any of these require filing (if it can be determined at all), or will I/the bike shop just need to take the plunge and find out?

Thanks

It's very dependent on the frame, the material, the wear and tear on the frame at the BB, the type of BB, the manufacturer of the BB. There is no 'one size fits all' solution.

lpretro1

Well I know that frames ideally should be 'faced' to take external bottom bracket types - but not heard of this - I'd be looking at frame manufacturer and asking them the question as potentially it could do serious damage

Top Bottom