Chamois/Ass cream for touring?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

maurice

Hi

Reading 'French Revolutions' it seems that it may be essential to use some cream 'down there'. Has anybody got recommendations/experiences(..erm) using this stuff for touring, which cream to get etc?

I'm doing about 50-70 miles a day on a road bike over three weeks.

Just about to order a second pair of bib-shorts and wondering whether to get some of the Assos chamois cream.

Thanks
Maurice

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Why do you want cream for a donkey? (Ignore the question if you're American.:biggrin:)

Unless of course you mean arse cream. I've always found that wearing a pair of swimming trunks next to the skin does the trick and they also have the added advantage that you can wash them and they quickly dry for the next days cycling. I suppose if you did that and used cream as well, you would have no problems at all.

Sudocrem. Available from most chemists and many supermarkets (no menthol/mint in it though).Been using it for years (if it's good for babies bum - it'll do for mine:thumbsup:wink: and I don't think that it's as expensive as Assos :angry:.

Yorkshireman said:
Sudocrem. Available from most chemists and many supermarkets (no menthol/mint in it though).Been using it for years (if it's good for babies bum - it'll do for mine:thumbsup:( and I don't think that it's as expensive as Assos ;).

assos is only 8.99 a tub and it lasts a long time - a little goes a long way! also you don't need to shove great handfuls of it down your pants like you do with sudocreme... a light application of arse lard will last you all day.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
maurice said:
Hi

Reading 'French Revolutions' it seems that it may be essential to use some cream 'down there'. Has anybody got recommendations/experiences(..erm) using this stuff for touring, which cream to get etc?

I'm doing about 50-70 miles a day on a road bike over three weeks.

Just about to order a second pair of bib-shorts and wondering whether to get some of the Assos chamois cream.

Thanks
Maurice

I don't use any exotic unguents anymore. I seem to have hardened up. I don't even bother with padded shorts. Cotton briefs and cheap cotton shorts from a shop selling clothes to portly gentlemen do for me.

Kirstie said:
assos is only 8.99 a tub and it lasts a long time - a little goes a long way! also you don't need to shove great handfuls of it down your pants like you do with sudocreme... a light application of arse lard will last you all day.

The last tub of Sudo that I bought (from ASDA £5.99 six years ago) has just run out ... so I bought a smaller one (I am 'knocking on' a bit). I don't 'lather' it on - my bum seems OK with a light skimming of it, plus I don't want to risk anything bleeding through onto my BROOKS (only Proofide allowed on there ;). ). I was first introduced to Sudocrem 67 years ago by my mother (I didn't have any choice in the matter) and I used it for the next 18 months or so. A gap of around 18 years followed until I started doing rides of more than 80 - 100 miles and I've only had short breaks (to try out other products) since.:sad:

Tynan

Veteran
savlon for the commute on the odd slightly sore point, used vasolene on L2B which worked very well, bought a small tub of assos when I had a nasty sore and it's certainly very good indeed although it is spooky for the first ten minutes after you put it on, if you're touring and can't afford any nonsense, I'd say do it, it's got to be the best one

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Assos is amazing. I admit right now I haven't tried savlon or any other stuf but have now worked my way through two tubs of assos on various tours and would never set off on a decent ride without it. I've since converted the husband AND the brother in law!! We've never had any troubles 'down there'.

I particularly like the tingle :biggrin:

Cathryn said:
Assos is amazing. I admit right now I haven't tried savlon or any other stuf but have now worked my way through two tubs of assos on various tours and would never set off on a decent ride without it. I've since converted the husband AND the brother in law!! We've never had any troubles 'down there'.

I particularly like the tingle :biggrin:

Apparently, the 'tingle' is a bit like an addiction. the more you use it, the more you get used to the tingle, so the more you need to get the same level of, er, tingle. Apparently.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Nothing for me, except Sudocrem once in a precautionary spirit after 325 miles of the PBP. I take a film tub of the leftovers on longer tours, and it has been gratefully received by companions on a couple of occasions.

Top Bottom