Champions Trophy 2017 (contains spoilers)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That's where the money is because that's what most spectators want to watch.

My opinion only, but I think there is a world of difference between spectators and cricket fans.

Imagine if chess was reduced to 36 squares and you only had six pieces and every move had to be made within five seconds. That's how I see the comparison between 'Mickey Mouse' cricket and 'first class' cricket.

I only ever played one-day cricket and limited-overs cricket and enjoyed it always as a player, but prefer to watch the longer format (which is very rare these days).

But, as you rightly say, though, each to their own. I'm an old fart and don't like change.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCsZVFwwksi_2Bx2C8ZSDAZNrwGE2mDzk4SNo34WzDV6WecdhN.jpg

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Calling @tallliman - he might watch a bit of cricket :whistle:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Who is going to be happiest with Australia and New Zealand getting a point each? England obviously, as that makes topping the group easier without worrying about NRR. Bangladesh can see it as now making it possible to get through in second, albeit unlikely. But which out of Australia and New Zealand got a point they didn't earn and which was robbed?

I suspect Australia are rather relieved and NZ rather frustrated

U

User482

I could understand persisting with Roy if we didn't have Bairstow...

I do wonder if Bairstow doesn't quite fit in or something? The only other thing is that he's not had much success opening for Yorkshire (I think).

OP
OP
Stephenite

Stephenite

Membå
Is this a thing then: More than 20 overs played in the second innings, and rain stops play, it goes down to the DLS par score?

Yep, once the side batting second reaches 20 overs in the Champions Trophy, we officially have a game. At that point, the Duckworth-Lewis-Stern Method (a recent revision to the Duckworth-Lewis method) is used to determine the winner.

In other competitions, the minimum number of overs required has been known to differ.

Furthermore, the minimum number of overs needed to complete a match is therefore 20 for each batting side.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I've enjoyed the tournament so far, despite the mismatches, and the frustration of the NZ vs AUS match ending early. Hopefully the later stages will see some closer matches, and fewer rain affected ones.

Whilst I love test cricket, I've come to appreciate the other forms as well, with a slight preference for the 50 over format (I always feel that T20 can be affected a little too much by luck, whereas the longer format gives a team chance for a recovery.)

Top Bottom