Chance for S. France Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

novemberdelta

Hi,

I am a relatively new cyclist, do between 100-180 miles a week. I am going on holiday to South of France in July and wondered if people would recommend a bit of touring.

My concerns are:

Too hot - will wilt very quickly
Not experienced enough/too hilly

I know that sounds a bit daft, but i understand that the hills around there are incomparable to the Uk.

Just wondered thoughts. Cheers.

MarkF

Guru
Hi,

I am a relatively new cyclist, do between 100-180 miles a week. I am going on holiday to South of France in July and wondered if people would recommend a bit of touring.

My concerns are:

Too hot - will wilt very quickly
Not experienced enough/too hilly

I know that sounds a bit daft, but i understand that the hills around there are incomparable to the Uk.

Just wondered thoughts. Cheers.

I cycle through Spain in the height of Summer and I love it, I never have a problem with the heat until I get off the bike. Everybody is different but living in West Yorks I like as much heat/sun as I can get when on tour.

Hills, again, what are you used to? I have found hills in the South of France & Spain to be longer but easier than what I have to get up in the Dales.

OP
OP
N

novemberdelta

I cycle through Spain in the height of Summer and I love it, I never have a problem with the heat until I get off the bike. Everybody is different but living in West Yorks I like as much heat/sun as I can get when on tour.

Hills, again, what are you used to? I have found hills in the South of France & Spain to be longer but easier than what I have to get up in the Dales.

I guess I would just have to see how I get on in the heat if I decide to go, not much chance of getting a taste of it in Scotland.

I mainly ride around Fife, my commute is 15 miles each way with about 600ft elevation, I did 60 miles on Sunday with about 2600ft, not sure how that compares/would prepare me.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It's also depends where you go in south of France, sure the Pyrenees are hilly, but it's long lowish gradient hills, but parts are much flatter. Mount Ventoux is worth a crack if you in the region, although not for the faint hearted. The Gorge du Nesque near Ventoux is beautiful and a 3-5% gradient from one end to the other.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
If you're worried about the heat, aim to get out early, and get miles in before lunch. Yes, it can get warm (it was 40C on some days last August in my part of France), but if you both take its steady, and remember to drink plenty, you'll survive, as long as you aren't too optimistic about how many miles you are going to do each day. Oh, yes, the hills are fine as long as you take your time and keep the legs spinning. If you can keep chatting while you climb, you'll be able to keep going for however long it takes.

I'm not sure what it's like in other parts of S France, but in the SE most/many villages have water fountains, most of which you can assume are 'potable', unless they say otherwise.

OP
OP
N

novemberdelta

Thanks for all the replies. I am staying in Menton, there is loads of great cycling in the area! I think I will go for it, and get up and go really early before it gets really hot.

Thanks for all the replies. I am staying in Menton, there is loads of great cycling in the area! I think I will go for it, and get up and go really early before it gets really hot.
Col de Turini would have to be top of the list setting off from Menton. If you have transport or stopping out overnight on the bike then you do have a shed load of options for some fantastic climbs and scenery.

andym

Über Member
Go early. Go high. Actually I find a single big climb a lot easier to cope with than lots of little climbs. You'll usually find that the climbs are long rather than steep.

Top Bottom