change a campag hub for a shimano hub?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

2clepto

just before i get started can someone let me know if its possible to change a campagnolo hub for a shimano hub? cheers

PpPete

Legendary Member
Not too sure whether I've understood your question.

A campag cassette won't fit on a shimano freehub (nor indeed vice-versa)
There are various campag spaced cassettes that fit on shimano freehubs

Actually changing the hub (and rebuilding the wheel around it) - the spoke lengths might be different, but no real difficulty so long as the number of spokes are the same.

boydj

Legendary Member
You can buy a freehub to replace the one that's on the wheel, since most makes of wheel can come with either Shimano or Campag. However, these tend to be manufacturer-specific and availability can be problematic, as can the fixing method and the tools required to make the change. You can get cassettes with a Shimano spline and Campag spacing, but not the other way round. If you are running 11-speed, then the spacings are the same between the two manufacturers and therefore no need to change.

OP
OP

2clepto

sorry should've gave more info...ive got a mavic rear wheel which came with a 10spd campag cassette on a campag hub. i have no other campag components but the wheels are very light, if somewhat used, and i hoped i could just pull the campag hub of and fit a shimano hub (either 10spd hub or a 7spd hub with a spacer). but yesterday when i began to prepare to pull the axle out i realised i needed a few youtube vids and maybe another tool because im not used to the campag components i thought id check with you guys first. cheers

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
No, absolutely not, no chance, you're better off just giving me the Mavic wheels! ;-)

But seriously, it depends on the wheels. I had some which I converted very easily from Shimano to Campag, with a freehub adaptor. It was for wheels with DT Swiss hubs, and the adapter cost around £80, and is very easy to fit.

OP
OP

2clepto

heres 3 photos, the wheels are mavic open pro
20160112_185240.jpg
here are the two bolts i removed with a hex from either side of the axle
20160112_185256.jpg

below shows the side im trying to remove, just been looking at it for now, the square thing seems to what a specific tool?
20160112_185228.jpg

thanks for the advice. sadly i cant go down the £80 route as the wheels only cost me a fiver lol

OP
OP

2clepto

They start at about £25.00 depending on the model of wheel. Or look for a damaged wheel on ebay and swop the hubs, you could probably sell the campag one to recoup your money.:okay:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...GYcid2wPVSFWxOwNKp_yEaAn_k8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

ok thanks i think ive got it now, id need a shimano freehub body that fits a mavic wheel? thanks

Top Bottom