Change Bike advise request

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Narendra Surti

Anyone interested in offering some free expertise?
I commutie two days a week. I’m on a flat-bar hybrid Carrera Subway 2 bike from Halford. About 30 lbs. I’d like to work my way up to better fitness. My commute is 10.5 miles each way, adds up to 42 miles a week on two days, depending on the weather and my motivation level. I’m using a backpack to carry my laptop and some bits and pieces. After two days (42 Miles) my thighs are hurting, so would like to increase my distance with less effort. Altimately looking at increading my weekly ride two 63 miles ie three days or more.

I’m looking at stuff with a ceiling of £750.

Thoughts?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fit faster tyres. TBH a subway is a good commuter. Practice makes perfect, so slowly increase the number of times you commute.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Have you tried fiddling with your position? The only time I've ever had sore thighs was when my saddle was too low.

Drago

Legendary Member
Depending on the version and spec, the Subway isn't a bad bike but that is still a long haul for one of them.

Assuming the roads you'll be riding are in decent repair I think I'd be looking at something like a Giant Defy One (not that anyone in the UK has any in my size while 2012 stock winds down ready for the 2013 models), and some slim 30mm mudguards and a decent but lightweight rack. Add some lights and decent pedals, and you got a light, zippy, comfortable ride and should have change from your £750 budget.

OP
OP
N

Narendra Surti

Depending on the version and spec, the Subway isn't a bad bike but that is still a long haul for one of them.

Assuming the roads you'll be riding are in decent repair I think I'd be looking at something like a Giant Defy One (not that anyone in the UK has any in my size while 2012 stock winds down ready for the 2013 models), and some slim 30mm mudguards and a decent but lightweight rack. Add some lights and decent pedals, and you got a light, zippy, comfortable ride and should have change from your £750 budget.

Thanks, I have had a look at the Giant Rapid 3, £479, but also been recommended the Ridgeback Flight 01 (£500) and Ridgeback Ultra lite 03 (£650). I also like the Vitus Urban Mach 3 (£625)

Any thoughts?

OP
OP
N

Narendra Surti

Did you purchase the correct size bike?

When I purchased it about 4 years ago I took advise from the Halfords Sales person. So probably I did not get the size I actually require. I beleive for my height 5.7, i need a 52/54 cm framt

lordloveaduck

I am the same size as you, these are the sizes of the bikes i have.
44.5cm frame Trek Hybrid
53cm Cube Road Bike

Everybody is a different shape but i have no problems reaching the handle bars and no issues with
comfort.

Trek was from Evans and the Cube was Cycle Surgery they let me try before buying.

bristol-dave

Regular
Before i bought my bike for commuting i looked at the reviews on bike radar. I ended up buying a Specialized sirrus , only the entry level at £350 , its just a tad over 11kg in weight and i love it . its very nifty , easy on the hills, i have a 19 mile commute each day and tend to ride 3-4 times a week. There are of coure 2 other sirrus models going up at £100 a time with slighty better components.

Top Bottom