Change Cable Front Derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Garethgas

Cheers guys. Yea it was late. Going to have another go when I get in from work.

On the actual shifter not moving into 3rd gear (even when not clamped into derailleur) any advice

These are the shifters I bought

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/221050498913

Also sorry if I didn't say, but the derailleur isn't a replacement. It's what came with the bike when it was bought. But the bike was never able to get into 3rd gear

I'm sorry but I'm not familiar with those shifters so can't help.
To eliminate the shifters for a minute, try pulling the cable by hand to see if the cage has full travel.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
If still stuck a few more photos will allow us to gauge if the dérailleur is positioned correctly. Side on, from above, close up of cable clamp should do it.
It is possible on a cheap bike that the components just aren't compatible. Hard to believe - but sometimes the bottom bracket seems to be just thrown in and may be too long. This would result in a poor chain line, and possibly inability of the front dérailleur to push the chain out enough to get into top gear. (Also worth checking that the chain set crank is fully tightened onto the bottom bracket spindle.)

OP
OP
S

sitchey

Sorry haven't updated back. I sent back the faulty shifter. After a bit of testing it wasn't able to get into 3rd gear even when disconnected from derailleur. So just waiting on replacement coming - should be tomorrow.

When it does I'll be back on as know will still have same issues when I get it connected to derailleur.

OP
OP
S

sitchey

Ok new shifter arrived yesterday and Last night I got it wired up. I'm hitting all the gears.... BUT....still have some issues.
  1. When the front gear is on the large gear and the back gear is on the large gear the chain rubs badly up the inside of the derailleur. I've adjusted the H and L screws for a few hours and what I have at the min is the best as it gets into all 3 gears. Any slight adjustment in either and it can't hit all gears.
  2. When in I go up the front gears it goes from 1st to 2nd. But to go fully into 2nd you have to pull it slightly past 2nd. Sometimes into 3rd. Then when in 2nd u can push the shifter back into 2nd avid the gear will sit allowing you to push again into 3rd with no problem. Working but not ideal.
  3. More of concern is that when you are in 3rd the largest gear on the front and start to go down it jumps from 3rd all the way to 1st. I know it's not the shifter as when loose it goes up and down as normal. I'm more concerned with that as when cycling such a quick drop in tension into a low gear with my legs going quickly then peddling air could be very sore after a long cycle.
Any suggestions? I can post some photo or video if it helps?

Garethgas

Ok new shifter arrived yesterday and Last night I got it wired up. I'm hitting all the gears.... BUT....still have some issues.
  1. When the front gear is on the large gear and the back gear is on the large gear the chain rubs badly up the inside of the derailleur. I've adjusted the H and L screws for a few hours and what I have at the min is the best as it gets into all 3 gears. Any slight adjustment in either and it can't hit all gears.
  2. When in I go up the front gears it goes from 1st to 2nd. But to go fully into 2nd you have to pull it slightly past 2nd. Sometimes into 3rd. Then when in 2nd u can push the shifter back into 2nd avid the gear will sit allowing you to push again into 3rd with no problem. Working but not ideal.
  3. More of concern is that when you are in 3rd the largest gear on the front and start to go down it jumps from 3rd all the way to 1st. I know it's not the shifter as when loose it goes up and down as normal. I'm more concerned with that as when cycling such a quick drop in tension into a low gear with my legs going quickly then peddling air could be very sore after a long cycle.
Any suggestions? I can post some photo or video if it helps?
1. You are cross chaining. The combination of big/big and small/small cogs is not a good idea as the further you go, the more extreme the angle of the chain running front to back. Try to remember that the H and L screws only limit how far the derailleur can travel. The basically just stop the chain from falling off the edge. Adjust to get the best chain line with minimum of rubbing. If it rubs, it's time to change up/down chainrings.

2 and 3 is cable tension.
Have a look a the link below and it will explain it all. I recommend that you go right from the start to eliminate overlooking the obvious (including re setting the H/L screws).
If you've never done it before it should take 20 to 30 mins to go through it

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/front-derailleur-adjustments

Top Bottom