Change from 2 x 10 to 1 x 11

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tonich

Hi
Looking for your advice.
I have a Specialized E5 Elite and love it. My only regret is not paying that bit more for a 1 x 11 chainset.
I'm thinking of converting but wondering if my current rear derailleur will cope with 11 as it's currently 10 and the same question regards my shifter. I'm competent enough to do all the work myself but like to research everything to death before I start.
TIA

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
shifters are specific, e.g. 9 or 10 or 11spd. Rear mech is likely to accommodate changing to 11spd as it is dumb. What shifters do you have?

a few other considerations like removing front mech, ensuring spacing is right when switching to a single chain set, you will need new levers I think and can I assume get specific ones that cater for no gear lever on the left and a normal shifter on the right?

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
No, a 10spd rear mech will not work with 11spd. There is a compatibility break because Shimano changed the pull ratio.

This will require new chainring, shifter, chain, cassette, rear mech and, for most road cassettes, a new rear hub/wheel. MTB cassettes can go on 10spd hubs because the "overhang" of the largest sprocket means it takes up no freehub width.

You might as well sell and buy an 11spd bike.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Stand corrected on the rear mech assumption then, good to know. Sounds like n+1 required :whistle:

edit: can’t you lock the front mech into one of the rings with limit screw borking and switch to a 42t or whatever then put a wide as possible ratio cassette on the back?

Last edited:

Kajjal

Guru
Why ? It's going to be an expensive change - shifters, cassette, chainset, rear mech.

What's the problem with the front mech ?

FWIW I specified a double chainset on my gravel bike. It has most of its use on the road so the double made the most sense.
Exactly the same, large chain ring ideal for road riding and small for off road. I am no longer brave enough to go flat out in the large chain ring off road on a gravel bike 😮

Sharky

Guru
I went down a similar route, but gradually.
Actually started with a 3x9 campag set up.Replaced the chainset with decent double compact one (50x34) for a while, but got fed up with always wanting to be in the cross over ratios and having to double shifts.
So next, replaced the chainring with a single 40t narrow/wide ring and shortened the chain. So now a 1x9 set up. Worked fine across all sprockets.
Then because I had lots of shimano bits from other bikes, went to a 10 speed wheel, SRAM levers from another bike and a new RD.
Lost a bit at the top and bottom ends of the gear ranges, but as one of my other bikes is a SS, I knew I could easily get round my normal loops.

The easiest and least expensive solution (although more like a bodge job) is to convert your 2x10 into a 1x10, if that's good enough for you.

Top Bottom