Change from SPD MTB to SPD SL cleats?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rhysito

I have used SPD MTB two bolt cleats for the last 10 years. I am about to go on a cycling holiday where we will be cycling over 100 km a day. Is it worth changing to SPD SL three bolt cleats? Will I know a big differnce in speed?

personally I don't think you will notice even a small difference in speed due to changing cleats, and to be honest I cant see why anyone would expect there to be , you may notice a difference in comfort either for the better or worse. some people can suffer hot spot on the sole of feet when using spd, but seeing as you have used them for ten years I cant see it affecting you, …... oh and happy cycling on your hols:bicycle:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
+1. I've done a mere 365km in one day on SPDs, and a few tours of that mileage or more. Absolutely no problems whatsoever, and you won't be doing any tottering around at stops.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Another "don't bother to change" from me. As long as you've got decently stiff SPD shoes, they're fine for as far as you are ever likely to ride. The cleats and pedals last for nearly ever, and are as cheap as chips. And yes, you can walk normally in them. Ignore the marketing... because that's all it is.

I reckon Shimano realised they'd screwed up by designing something that was both good and hardly ever wears out, so they designed something that wore out ten times more quickly, and then had to come up with a gimmick for making out that they would be better for road riding...

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Added to the above, unless you already have the three bolt system on another bike, you've got to find a new pair of shoes that fit and are comfortable, break them in and adjusting the cleat position until you find the position that suits.

If what you've got works for you currently, why change?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have seen articles that say the extra power gain is so minimal that unless your a pro then dont bother changing , just work with whatever system you like .Some say that road shoes are stiffer but a good pair of spd shoes are plenty stiff enough for power transfer
I use spd for commuting and on a sunday i do 100km + rides as well as the occasional 100 mile ride and i have never had any issues, i do use single sided spd A600 or A520 pedals on those as they do give you a bigger platform , if you prefer double sided m530s are a good compromise .I do use m520s for commuting for ease of double sided and there cheap

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Added to the above, unless you already have the three bolt system on another bike, you've got to find a new pair of shoes that fit and are comfortable, break them in and adjusting the cleat position until you find the position that suits.

If what you've got works for you currently, why change?
thats another bonus i have 4 bikes and erm 4 pairs of shoes all using the same system which makes mix and match easy rather than having certain shoes for certain bikes .

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I use both. The SPD-SL pedals are a little better for riding in, being more secure and with a much larger shoe interface. They are truly awful for walking, and nowhere near as easy to clip in when starting off.

I'm comparing them to the standard SPD black cleats - I've never used the silver "sissy cleats", as MTBers call them.

OP
OP
Rhysito

Rhysito

Thank you so much everyone - you have saved me a lot of money and time with this info - much appreciated!

I changed from spd to spd sl just before a long ride, maybe two or three rides out beforehand, but I was suffering from foot pain in the two bolt system and needed to do something to make sure I could complete. If you don't get pain don't change.

Top Bottom