Change in body shape with cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wilko49

I've been cycling for a few years but this summer I've been doing it more regularly - going out 3/4 times a week and pushing myself a bit harder than previously.

I've realised that I seem to be getting bigger in the neck/shoulder area - my suit jackets don't fit me anymore! Anyone else found that cycling changes their upper body shape?

brockers

Are you sure you're doing it properly? I find lying on the saddle and using my arms to turn the pedals most uncomfortable.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Top half is a collection of limp, randomly placed muscles topped by an equally shapeless spread of fat. Think lard spread over a dishcloth.

Legs are solid lengths of shapely muscle, with a thin layer of fat keeping them warm. Think an old oak tree trunk with runny margarine sparingly spread over it.

Wife wants me to take up kayaking, for some reason.

tyred

Legendary Member
Top half is a collection of limp, randomly placed muscles topped by an equally shapeless spread of fat. Think lard spread over a dishcloth.

Legs are solid lengths of shapely muscle, with a thin layer of fat keeping them warm. Think an old oak tree trunk with runny margarine sparingly spread over it.

Wife wants me to take up kayaking, for some reason.

sounds like me.

brockers

On a more serious note it does sound odd. You haven't really explained what kind of riding you do. All I know is that from having a reasonably muscley and well-defined upper body (I used to do shed-loads of push-ups, chins and dumb-bell work), I lost an inch in collar and chest size, my shoulders and upper arms are generally less meaty, and my face became scrawny within a year of doing about a hundred plus miles a week. In all honesty, I really don't like the look and need to start up with the dumb-bells again, or find some endeavour that utilises my upper body.

funnymummy

A Dizzy M.A.B.I.L
My calves!
Discovered last winter that my knee length leather boots no longer came up to my knees, but wedged tight about 3" below them.. And forget Wellies, only way i could get a pair that I could tuck my jeans into was by buying mens steeltoe cap workwellies from the builders merchants..
But to look at my legs they don't look that big, being over 6' just makes me 'appear' slim
:laugh:

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
I've gone from a 9 stone marathon runner to a 10 stone rider with a slight podge
blush.gif
This is totally unheard of in my book :tongue:

Zoiders

It's not odd.

Especialy if you ride fixed in the hills or go MTBing a lot, the bars on a fixed road bikes need to be checked on regular basis to make sure you aren't about to snap them.

Yes you can sit and twiddle the low gears all the time but in all honesty I think thats bad for you as the upper body atrophies, give it some welly every now and then, attack that hill out of the saddle, move around on the bike a bit.

pepecat

My thighs have definitely gotten a bit bigger, as have my calfs (calves??). I think my upper arms / shoulders are getting a bit bigger, but i think that's due to working in a library and shifting books round all day rather than cycling!

Top Bottom