Change in number of teeth, does it matter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PhilMag

Regular
Need to change the rear cassette on the Carrera. Current one is a SRAM Biggest ring being 32t then dropping to 26t. Have seen one online (not SRAM, but compatible) but it is 32t then 24t. Will this cause any issues other than a much more noticeable difference when changing between the two rings?

32-24 is a huge drop, as is 32-26 for that matter. Are you sure those numbers are correct..?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Do you really need the 32 tooth sprocket? I have a hybrid with a triple chain ring and the first thing I did was ditch my 11-32 cassette for a more road biased 12-26(Sram PG950) spread which still means I rarely use the tiny granny ring (maybe twice a year). I have since changed to an 11-25(Shimano Tiagra) and still find I spend very little time on the 25T gear. You don't have to stick with the 32T if you don't need it and a closer spread of gears might mean smaller steps, especially with only 7 gears.

OP
OP
PhilMag

PhilMag

Regular
Decided to stick with the 32 just because that was what was on there. I take your point about have the largest cog at 26, and probably would, but given that I have a road bike and that the hybrid is now pretty much just for taking the boy out on, I thought it safer to stay as is on the big ring. Besides, I don't think he'll be too impressed if I'm constantly out of saddle flinging him left to right on the hills, and I'll be less impressed when he xx( down my backside.

The real point of this post was whether a drop from 32t to 24t on the next cog down was a tad extreme, but I have now sourced a direct replacement 32 to 26 for £16 rather than the £25 is the RRP

OP
OP
PhilMag

PhilMag

Regular
Only 2, I'll check sizes later

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
that's the reason for my question. A bit of time spent with Sheldon Brown might save a lot of angst

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
I had a 8sp 11-32 cassette from SRAM which went 11-12-14-16-18-21-26-32. The SRAM are useful for tourers also used for commuting as you get a decent set of close gears for normal riding, and some really low ones for climbing when loaded up. (I also have a 42-32-22 chainset on that bike)

Top Bottom