change of saddle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kedab

Veteran
As my butt seems to hurt more than my legs and lungs after a commute/ride, is it worth changing my seat? I've not had the bike long so chances are my various 'parts' will sort themselves out but if a sore butt after 4 or 5 miles daily over the past week isn't going to change, does anybody have any suggestions?

corshamjim

Definitely don't suffer when you shouldn't.

I just bought one of these which seems to suit me fine (47 miles today no probs). Of course whether it would suit you is another matter entirely!

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/bioflex-o-zone-gel-mens-saddle-prod16197/

OP
OP
kedab

kedab

Veteran
Thanks corshamjim, appreciate the link.

If I'm still not used to the ride come next weekend then I'll def look at switching the saddle. What's on there is fine but there's enough sections of my ride where it's bumpy enough to make my butt hurt and it's all road and cycle path...maybe I just need to toughen up a bit!

DaveyB1981

Kind of two factors in play here...

1. You say you havent been riding long. It could be that whatever seat you use would make you sore until your bum "toughens up"
2. That said, saddles are very specific to the rider, everyone is different and it is down to a number of factors (detailed at length in these forums).

You quite possibly do need to change your seat. as for advice, really all you can do is a little research (again, via these forums, and beyond) and then try some. As mentioned a few times before, ebay is your friend here. It may take you a while to get the choice right, so be prepared to sell them on if no good.

Dave

OP
OP
kedab

kedab

Veteran
Ah! Padded shorts - I'm off to town in the morning to get just that item, as well as a lightweight/reflective/rainproof jacket! That may well be the solution. Thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

OP
OP
kedab

kedab

Veteran
the saddle/ride position seems to be fine - i don't ache anywhere i feel i shouldn't after the ride, i am new to this so my legs feel a bit tight when i'm finsihed but yeh, my butt is the biggest issue - shorts first, then saddle and then elimination from there i guess? cheers guys.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
the saddle/ride position seems to be fine - i don't ache anywhere i feel i shouldn't after the ride, i am new to this so my legs feel a bit tight when i'm finsihed but yeh, my butt is the biggest issue - shorts first, then saddle and then elimination from there i guess? cheers guys.

getting the saddle position correct can really matter and an incorrect position may not reflect in other areas over shorter distances. There are 4 bits to get right and they all interlink:-

1. saddle height in relation to pedals
2. saddle setback, ie how far behind the pedals/bottom bracket it is, this impacts on point 1, so for example if you always set the saddle relative to the ground the further back it is the higher it will feel and vice versa.
3. saddle orientation, dead flat, nose up or nose down, you'll find people split across preferences here and it's a bit only you can work out, but if points 1 and 2 aren't right then it can be tempting to tilt the saddle to help correct this rather than the other way round.
4. saddle reach/height variance to handlebars, all the recommendations seem to be to sort out points 1-3 and then position the bars to match the saddle position, not trying to work from bars back.

Apologies if you have all of this sorted properly already and yes things will toughen up and become more comfortable. But if any of the above isn't right then problems tend to get worse the more you ride and the further you go.

OP
OP
kedab

kedab

Veteran
no apologies necessary MacB, I appreciate all the help & advice - what you've said makes sense and it may be that the saddle is set back just a touch too far - I'll do a few tweaks and then go out for a bit to check it out. thanks again all :thumbsup:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

corshamjim

While riding over particularly bumpy sections, stand up on the pedals and let the bike pivot under you rather than let your bottom take all the bruising.

Wider tyres (if your bike will take them) and / or a sprung saddle or suspension seatpost can help on bumpy surfaces too. I have a sprung saddle on the Pashley but find when I'm pedalling fast I'll bounce up and down a lot on it - it's fine for pottering about though.

billflat12

Veteran
There are few things that can cause particular problems in this area , a non riding friend call,s his " a butt like the sun of japan"( saddle sore from chaffed skin to me an you ) some sudocrem should help relieve things till things toughen up . what saddle are you currently using ? maybe choose a narrower saddle with a groove in ? , if its bruised butt cheeks do you ride in a very upright position on a very short stem ? here positioning your weight further forward would help, along with padded shorts or suspension seat-post etc. " if your bike is new then a visit to where you bought the bike would help too, usually there only to pleased to help. " You may just find over a longer period of time things quickly settle down if you ride regular enough though .

OP
OP
kedab

kedab

Veteran
just thought i'd say thanks to all on this topic - i now sport a rather fetching pair of padded lycra shorts - and matching top to boot - when commuting.

the difference is incredible, wearing proper gear on the bike and now used to the bike's stiffness is so much more comfortable than before :thumbsup:

Top Bottom