Change old sturmey Archer 3 speed for something else?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
Hello all.

I have an old Raleigh Caprice, I think it was made in qbout 1987.

It has a 3 speed sturmey archer. It doesn't work. I was wondering if its possible to change it to a new hub gear and something a bit more suitable to the hilly terrain round here.

Any ideas? Also, I'd really like to not spend a great deal of money on this project. No more than 100 -150 ish if poss.

byegad

Legendary Member
The old SA 3 speeds were virtually bomb proof. I used one in Durham City, which consists of HILLS! I fitted the largest rear sprocket SA made and used a smaller front crank, effectively dropping the third gear to slightly lower than where the old second gear was and so giving me two lower gears. Top was good enough to bowl along with the wind behind me on the level and going down hill you freewheel.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You could fit a Shimano Alfine hub gear but might be quite pricey, about four times what the bike is worth! They are available in eight to eleven speed versions I believe.
image.jpg

Fitting some sort of derailleur will be more cost effective and your LBS could probably do it within your budget.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You should be able to get a new rear wheel with a Nexus 7 and shifter for about 150 but t'internet is a waste of time (just spent a while looking for summat to do) hub seems to cost about 90 so LBS time methinks. ^_^

OP
OP
Sara_H

Sara_H

Guru
Thank you everyone. I realise the bike isn't worth very much, but I do quite like it and would like it to be useable.

I'm thinking of planning some gentle rides for colleagues at work to introduce them to the joys of cycling and want to be in a position to have a couple of loan bikes.

classic33

Leg End Member
Oiled up?

Top Bottom