Change to a 11-32 cassette update

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all, from the excellent and much appreciated advice from fellow members l decided to try a set-up on my winter bike rather than my summer bike. I got a new chain for 9 speed and a low cost long arm deraillier mech(shimano Altus). The set-up looks pretty good with clearence between the jockey wheel and the 32T sprocket and a good chain wrap around.. Final gear change tweeking to come when I road test and take in a few hills which is the whole idea, to improve my climbing considering these little legs of mine are getting older. I will update on the road test.

regards cyclobud67

Ajax Bay

Guru
What shifter are you using?

Kajjal

Guru
My neighbour used a MTB rear mech and an 11-36 cassette which worked fine on his road bike, no idea which road shifters he was using.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
I operate both my road biased hybrid (11-28) and my all out off roader (12-34) on a short cage rapid rise Shimano XT. I really don't give any thoughts to what the boffins say should be married together and under what ratios and types of riding are best suited to what type of equipment.. My XT mechs operate faultlessly in both situations and under very differing loads and requirements. I only discovered this by trying things out for myself. I did have a few hickups along the way, but once I found this mech, used in combination with the dual use gear / brake levers from Shimano, I gave up the search for anything better. I operate on inner rings down to 30 teeth and outer rings up to 56 teeth (on different bikes ) and it is just as happy rolling on tarmac at 30mph as it is clawing around a woodland trail at 5mph. Smooth, reliable shifting, guaranteed.

OP
OP
cyclobud67

cyclobud67

Regular
I operate both my road biased hybrid (11-28) and my all out off roader (12-34) on a short cage rapid rise Shimano XT. I really don't give any thoughts to what the boffins say should be married together and under what ratios and types of riding are best suited to what type of equipment.. My XT mechs operate faultlessly in both situations and under very differing loads and requirements. I only discovered this by trying things out for myself. I did have a few hickups along the way, but once I found this mech, used in combination with the dual use gear / brake levers from Shimano, I gave up the search for anything better. I operate on inner rings down to 30 teeth and outer rings up to 56 teeth (on different bikes ) and it is just as happy rolling on tarmac at 30mph as it is clawing around a woodland trail at 5mph. Smooth, reliable shifting, guaranteed.

As this is my first venture into a major change to a setup I've kept the cost down so if it does not work out I'm not out of pocket. I've made a note of your rear mech 'Shimano XT' many thanks.I will post my progress.

regards cyclobud67

OP
OP
cyclobud67

cyclobud67

Regular
Update on the new setup having cycled to & from work over 11 miles trying out the 11-32 cassette withe the long arm deraillier. Very positive & smooth action giving me the ratio which enables me to spin on the climbs where as before with the 11-25 it relied on a bit more grunt. Very pleased so far.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I got a new chain for 9 speed and a low cost long arm deraillier mech(shimano Altus). The set-up looks pretty good with clearence between the jockey wheel and the 32T sprocket and a good chain wrap around.
The rear mech I have for this setup may well be for MTB
The Shimano Altus RD is for MTBs (effective and widely used): you could probably get an even larger large sprocket than the 32t on. The XTs @Psycolist mentioned are top-of-the-range (and cost) MTB/CX ones.

Top Bottom