Change to a quill stem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirtyhanz2

Is possible to change what I have in the picture to a quill stem what would I need to do if it is also would like to change the headset to a Chris king is the size I would need
Thanks for any advice

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Orbit Expedition?
Looks like the bike originally had a quill stem but has been fitted with a Quill to A-Head adapter?
If so you can easily revert back to a quill stem.

OP
OP
D

Dirtyhanz2

Orbit Expedition?
Looks like the bike originally had a quill stem but has been fitted with a Quill to A-Head adapter?
If so you can easily revert back to a quill stem.
Yes orbit expedition bought it second hand about 15 years ago decided to upgrade it a bit

si_c

Guru
Just pick your quill stem and fit it. Be careful with picking a stem as the bar diameter may be different.

Ajax Bay

Guru
As @Spiderweb says, you have a threaded headset and that's made for a quill stem. Your current set-up is an adaption to allow the use of a 'modern' stem and handlebars. Bear in mind that most quill stems have a smaller dimension where the bars go, so you can't use 'normal' bars (ie like the nice ones you have now with bar-end shifters) which have a diameter where clamped of 31.8mm (guessing).
Chris King headsets are nearly all threadless, except this one:
https://chrisking.com/collections/chris-king-headsets/threaded
Think you are barking up an Araucaria araucana

Ajax Bay

Guru
The main advantage of a threadless system for the rider of an Orbit Expedition is the smaller, lighter toolset required for field maintenance.
Well the OP hasn't got a threadless system, have they? And surely the 'expedition' tools carried will anyway include an 8mm allen key for the stem bolt (for pedals as well).
Tell us what 'field maintenance' of the OP's headset you have in mind to create this 'main advantage'? Or are you quoting someone? In which case, recommend the use of quotation marks.

OP
OP
D

Dirtyhanz2

Hi all thank you all for your reply really helpful
So I am going to change the handle bars and the A head stem with
Nitto u1-21 EX clamp size 31.8
Nitto B135 clamp size 31.8
If there is any red flags in this change could you please tell me thanks
I am going to put another question about changing the full drive train next
All help is much appreciated thanks

Ajax Bay

Guru
That stem will fit on your quill extension and fit the bars named. Take care with the length of the stem you procure.
My only comment is that the stem is plus or minus 7 degrees, so you'll find the bars are several centimetres lower than the current level (the current stem looks like a 'plus 35 degrees'). It may be possible to raise the quill extension a bit to compensate: but you will know how much spare there is on the extension before the ^MIN^ ||||| shows.

Reactions: C R
Top Bottom