Change to triple/compact advice wanted

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Currently I have a Trek 1200, fitted with a bontrager branded 39/52 crankset.
I'd really like to change this to either a triple, or compact double.

If I change to a triple, will I need to replace the sti lever (it’s currently a 2006(ish) 9 spd Tiagra model) not sure if it will allow 3 shifts. I think the rear cage is a 105 med length job so I guess this would be OK? - Anything else I would need to consider?

I'm assuming the compact will be the cheaper option :biggrin:
Is it simply a matter of changing the crankset for a compact version, or does something else have to change too?

Cheers

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Triple you will need long cage.
Changed from triple to compact and the better for it (for me at least).

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Compact will be easier and cheaper, as you can keep both mechs. If you go for a triple you'll be changing front and rear mechs...

You'll probably need to move the front mech down a few mm, but nothing trickier than that.

lukesdad

med length cage is for a triple short cage for double shimano dont do long cage in road mechs. I know 105 shifters can handle a triple not sure if tiagra will but suspect they might

PpPete

Legendary Member
Changing to a triple:
Almost certainly have to change front mech.
Rear mech may well be OK.
I think your Tiagra shifters will handle triple - the only ones that I've read about that won't are the very latest 2010 model.
You may need to change the bottom bracket to get the right chainline.

lukesdad

I cant see an advantage of a compact over a triple I cant see why anybody would want a compact at all.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
It is all a matter of personal choice.
As this is in the 'know how' thread and not a speculative discussion of merits of this over that...
I was unable to pick up a double chainset for the price I was able to get a compact and wanted to see if I could test my mechanical ability by swapping over chainsets..
I am happy with the results.

jimboalee

This was my decision process before triples:-

Check the route on a map. Identify the hills and quantify them.

Work the 'magical witchcraft' to tell me a gear I will need to climb the steepest hill.

Check bike store for the appropriate equipment.

Modify my charts with available ring/sprocket combos to give smooth progression of ratios.

Choose the combo I liked best.

Buy the equipment.

NOW, I have a triple with 30T ring. This couples with a 25T sprocket for a 18 -20% gradient.
No more messing with trips to the LBS or even surfing Ribble's website.

tandemman

I would think that the shifters will be fine, the front mech and BB will need replacing and the rear mech may need a MTB replacement depending on cassette range, just bear in mind that you cannot use a MTB mech on the front.

OP
OP
Kestevan

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
After looking at the costs involved I think I'm going to go with a compact. I can pick a crankset up for less than £50.00, and to be honest that will probably do me.

As for the triple, I guess I'll have to wait till I can justify (or at least get away with) buying a new bike - at least it gives me the excuse for the next n+1.

gavintc

Guru
Having ridden all 3 options, my least favourite is the triple. I currently have a compact on my good bike and like it for sportives and a normal 53/39 on my commuter. There are adv/dis between each, but I am content with the options they provide. Personally, I did not like the 40 ring (middle) on the triple as it was too high geared to spin on hills and then when you dropped into the 30 ring, you stopped moving until you clicked up a few cogs at the back. I find the ratios more manageable on compact and normal double. but each to their own.

Top Bottom