Change Tyres - both at same time?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My front tyre got a nasty slash in the sidewall yesterday so needs replacing. Rear tyrr appears to be in good condition still.

The bloke in the bike shop says I should change both tyres at same time.

Is this right?

[sorry to just jump on and ask a question but I'm not knowledgeable about this but feel I'm being swizzed]

kyuss

Veteran
Sounds like he's trying to sell two tyres instead of one. He's talking rubbish.

house_trained

Yeah, I bet he does - just wants to sell you two tyres.

As long as the rear tyre isn't badly worn, then keep it on the back wheel and buy one new tyre for the front (maybe from another, not so greedy, shop).

kyuss said:
Sounds like he's trying to sell two tyres instead of one. He's talking rubbish.
+1 That's my thoughts. I've only replaced mine the other way round (the rear kneeded replacing), making sure that the new is on the front the most vital and the older tyre is on the rear and never had a problem. On my best bike I've replaced both tyres but that was out of vanity :biggrin: not necessity.

Bigtwin

To be fair, there is a school of thought that says don't swap your rears to the front - do it the other way around - they wear faster, and thus are more prone to failure and grip loss, therefore you don't want them up front. Mebbe he subscribes to that theory.

Or he's a con man trying to screw you.

One or the other.

monnet

Guru
If the rear looks ok, then I'd say it is. Like HLaB, I've changed both on my good bike out of vanity but on the commuter and training bikes I replace when necessary.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
monnet said:
If the rear looks ok, then I'd say it is. Like HLaB, I've changed both on my good bike out of vanity but on the commuter and training bikes I replace when necessary.
absolutely.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Could be worth buying two if he's doing a special offer on the pair - that way you've got a spare.
Apart from that, no, you don't need to replace both at the same time.

jimboalee

Bigtwin said:
To be fair, there is a school of thought that says don't swap your rears to the front - do it the other way around - they wear faster, and thus are more prone to failure and grip loss, therefore you don't want them up front. Mebbe he subscribes to that theory.

Or he's a con man trying to screw you.

One or the other.

Yup, don't put a part worn rear on the front.
You will see if it has a flattened ( squared off ) tread which effects steering and control. Not good.

jimboalee

Nikos Zinnatwist said:
My front tyre got a nasty slash in the sidewall yesterday so needs replacing. Rear tyrr appears to be in good condition still.

The bloke in the bike shop says I should change both tyres at same time.

Is this right?

[sorry to just jump on and ask a question but I'm not knowledgeable about this but feel I'm being swizzed]

ONLY if its BOGOF :welcome:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
What an arse. If you've any choice, I'd definitely avoid that shop in future. They are not honest and they do not have your best interests in mind.

For future reference, a popular policy on tyres is to replace them when you need to, and generally speaking by transferring the front tyre to the rear, replacing it with a new one. Always have your best tyre on the front.

OP
OP
N

Nikos Zinnatwist

Thanks for all this info. I went back to the shop and said I just want one. He said that was not a problem as though I had never been in the shop before.

Top Bottom