Changed decision to go watch the tour - no regrets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Trust me, I put a lot of thought into this. I had been planning to go to Wethersfield (from Ipswich), but after two days of watching both stages live, I quite liked the idea of doing it again, and it slightly won the battle against being able to say 'I was there'. Oh, from what I caught on TV, the crowds at my chosen spot would have done my head in, but chapeau to all who went.

TVC

I chose not to go. I was in London '07 and in Paris three weeks later, I sat on the finish line at the World Track Champs in Manchester, I met Cav and Fabian in Grindlewald on Tour de Suisse, been at the sign in for several ToB stages, and try to get to The Tour Series every year.
This one was different, this was about non-cycling fans getting out to a major national event, and I am overjoyed that so many people are showing an interest in a sport I've followed for thirty years.
I don't regret not going, because I know I couldn't do what I love most, being up close to the competitors and mixing with the teams. There will be plenty of chances to do that elsewhere.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I would have liked to see it, but it's a bit out of my neighbourhood :rolleyes:. I don't suppose there's any chance future Le Tours will have stages in Australia? No, don't bother answering that! :laugh:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I never really fancied going to watch the first stage even though it was only 30 miles from home. I'm not into big crowds or standing still for long periods of time and getting there would've been a problem. I knew some that were going for the weekend but i didn't fancy camping in a field either,so i watched in from the comfort of my settee instead.:popcorn:
I met two elderly gents on Friday who asked me for directions to the nearest cycle route. They didn't like the idea of the A59 so i took them to Clitheroe where they thanked me and set off to Skipton. They'd travelled from Southport and they were drenched by then! I wished them well as they set off with their one man tents in their panniers.

Trust me, I put a lot of thought into this. I had been planning to go to Wethersfield (from Ipswich), but after two days of watching both stages live, I quite liked the idea of doing it again, and it slightly won the battle against being able to say 'I was there'. Oh, from what I caught on TV, the crowds at my chosen spot would have done my head in, but chapeau to all who went.

Doing what again?

Saluki

World class procrastinator
We were going to go but I got up in the night and felt a horrendous pain in my lower back. It's migrated to my left hip now so we know it's just sciatica, but at 1am I thought that I had done something pretty serious. So at the time that we were due to leave, I was dosed up with decent painkillers and getting the sleep that I had been deprived of due to the pain.
We watched it live on TV, most of it anyway. The sciatica died down enough for me to ride this evening but I wish that I'd just womaned up and got in the car and then on my bike.
Hubster wants to take 3 weeks off next year and hitch the van up and go to France. I think that we'll need a pokier car. Oh, a kidney transplant would be handy too.

yello

I, like many many others, was simply stunned by the number of people watching.

I know I would not have enjoyed it, and suspect I would have turned around and gone home if I had attempted to go, so I can fully understand people deciding not to go (even if they were fans)

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Was regretting not going until I saw the incredible mass of spectators. I coped in Paris last year because it's a capital city and supposed to be busy, TDF regardless, but that many people out in the countryside or squeezed into villages and small towns would have been horrendous.

Was happy to spend the three days at friend's, watching it on the box. Back to buffering hell now though :sad:

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I did not regret going one bit. The places we found to watch were fairly busy, near to Otley and just past the 25 km banner at High Bradfield, but not so crowded that your view was obstructed. There was a good mix of cycling fans and people who had come along to watch, maybe for the first time. The atmosphere was really good, laughter, a bit of banter between the spectators, cheering and clapping ordinary cyclists as they made their way along the road. I have been to Belgium and France to watch stage racing, as well as the 2007 depart in London and Kent. My two mates and me had a great time.
:bicycle::bravo:

I did not regret going one bit. The places we found to watch were fairly busy, near to Otley and just past the 25 km banner at High Bradfield, but not so crowded that your view was obstructed. There was a good mix of cycling fans and people who had come along to watch, maybe for the first time. The atmosphere was really good, laughter, a bit of banter between the spectators, cheering and clapping ordinary cyclists as they made their way along the road. I have been to Belgium and France to watch stage racing, as well as the 2007 depart in London and Kent. My two mates and me had a great time.
:bicycle::bravo:

the atmosphere was incredible. i hate crowds, but loved the three days by the road and rammed into trains! it surpassed any of the Tours i have been to before. even the motorbike Gendarmes were seen to wave at people

cyclists moan that no one took notice of the sport, then moan when it gets popular. sheesh. if le Tour was coming near me i'd be there, i was grateful i didn't need a passport to visit this time (i took it, just in case there were controls at Watford).

HelenD123

Guru
I was by the finish of the KOTM stage on Buttertubs and although it looked busy on TV there was plenty of room to sit down and wait.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
I, like many many others, was simply stunned by the number of people watching.

I know I would not have enjoyed it, and suspect I would have turned around and gone home if I had attempted to go, so I can fully understand people deciding not to go (even if they were fans)
Out of interest how have the crowds been reported in France?

Top Bottom