Changed from Canti to V-Brakes...problems urrrrghhhhhhhh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike Smith

Hey guys and gals,

Being new to this site and cycling in general since I was a young 'un.
I decided to break out the old bike and tart her up a bit, changing the gear and brake cables, changing the brake levers and as the title says, I'm wanting to change the cantilever brakes to V-brakes but I have hit a problem......other than my lack of cycle maintenance and repair.........

The rear "noodle" sticks out on the left and therefore the brake cable is having to make a strange detour resulting in it arcing at a stupid angle, which will get caught up when I'm riding
Is there anything like a shorter "noodle" or one that can be reversed so instead of it sticking out of the left and getting caught up when I'm riding....?

I know this sounds like an easy fix, but don't really wanna have to take it into halfords or a bike shop if I don't have to.

I can post pics if I'm allowed to and if I can work out how to.....

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Mike

02GF74

Über Member
There are at least two different noodles, the ones I know are 90 degree and 135 ish degree. The one with more curvature fits on the back to keep cable closer to the frame. Fist thing I suggest is to check if you have the 135 noodle on the back., Photo below makes it clear what I am on about.
$(KGrHqQOKkYE4BMBvq4rBOJLP8,Qk!~~_35.JPG

OP
OP
Mike Smith

Mike Smith

There are at least two different noodles, the ones I know are 90 degree and 135 ish degree. The one with more curvature fits on the back to keep cable closer to the frame. Fist thing I suggest is to check if you have the 135 noodle on the back., Photo below makes it clear what I am on about.
$(KGrHqQOKkYE4BMBvq4rBOJLP8,Qk!~~_35.JPG

Fantastic, thanks for that....I'll check tomorrow then I'll let you know how I get on.

Mike

OP
OP
Mike Smith

Mike Smith

Ohhh flexible noodles mmmmmmm may be a game changer for me....

I can't currently upload photos so cannot show you my dilemma lol.

02GF74

Über Member
the other problem with the change you are making is that the cable stop is different for canti and v-brakes - the canti must position the cable so it is vertical and centred whereas the v-brake would come in from the side.

depending on your frame, you may have to modify the frame or use a seat post clamp type of cable stop.

photo below shows white noodle for canti - you can see the cable would be centred and point down.

the black clamp around the seat tube is for v-brake cable; cable would come out horizontally.

1zistg.jpg

OP
OP
Mike Smith

Mike Smith

Yep exactly the problem I have, just been looking at the "flexible noodles" do you think that this will solve the problem or should I just stick with "cantis"

PpPete

Legendary Member
The other problem is that the brake levers designed for canti brakes do not pull enough cable for effective operation of V-brakes.
Unless you change the levers as well you will get, at best, very mediocre performance out of V-brakes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mike Smith

Mike Smith

Pete,
I brought a complete V-break set out of halfords (includes levers as well and cheap I know prob not the best) to get me started. If I go back to cantilever then I will get some other levers as the ones I had were a bit manky to say the least lol

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As said above, you may need to make some mods to the routing and or not use the canti cable stop. My rear cable runs from the brakes to a stop/braize on at the front of the top tube near the headset. The cable then runs without a cable outer to another stop at the seat tube where it then goes into an outer to another stop where the canti cable is. If I was to fit V brakes, I'd need to miss out the last canti 'stop/braize on', so the outer cable ran from the top tube straight to the noodle.

Top Bottom