Changed my commute in route and its very Dark.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sim2003

Today I decided sod it . I left the house half a hour early and went a different way into work adding on 3 miles. I got there very early lol so may add a little more or leave a little later tomorrow. I left at a little after 3am and assumed the streets would be lit and they weren't. They were pitch black and my front light seemed ok pointed towards the ground to spot the potholes.

So I'm wondering how much light power do I need for a decent price If I do continue this route in. Or even if its wise to take a pitch black route in. I have a head lamp I will have on me tomorrow mainly for if I have to stop for any reason. I didn't see a single car this morning and usually see a fair few on my usual ride in. but its coming up to the weekend so I do expect taxis.

Just really looking for any advice from those who go out to work at silly hours of the morning. your own experiences and what's helped you

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Moon-XP330-Front-Light/dp/B00CG35RK2

I have had one of these for two winters' commuting home along unlit country lanes and it has done me fine. USB charging. I rarely need the most powerful setting.

OP
OP
S

Sim2003

Yeh that's a big upgrade from my front light. I thought the one I have now was good from the previous I had , was dirt cheap mind, £2.50 reduced to clear from £15 usb charge light no idea of the brand except its white. But clearly doesn't have enough power as today proved. Will that light fit round fat bars ?

potsy

Rambler
I think this as a bare minimum, unless it's really dark then I'll bring out the big guns ^_^

20141114_212404 (2).jpg

G3CWI

Veteran
I'll bring out the big guns ^_^
You may have misunderstood the benefits if a lighter bike.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Cateye Volt series, 300 is good enough to see by, 800 and you are in near daylight again.

Smart 700 also plenty good enough to see easily in proper dark.

Both USB charging, both a decent battery life, much longer than my cree t6 and less bulky on the bike. Albeit the t6 is brighter than either.

If you do go for the t6 I would strongly suggest you put a fresnel glass in (c and be seen on Amazon, £5 ish) instead of the plain glass, it'll make it far more humane for oncoming drivers and spread the light better for you to see by.

OP
OP
S

Sim2003

Cateye Volt series, 300 is good enough to see by, 800 and you are in near daylight again.

Smart 700 also plenty good enough to see easily in proper dark.

Both USB charging, both a decent battery life, much longer than my cree t6 and less bulky on the bike. Albeit the t6 is brighter than either.

If you do go for the t6 I would strongly suggest you put a fresnel glass in (c and be seen on Amazon, £5 ish) instead of the plain glass, it'll make it far more humane for oncoming drivers and spread the light better for you to see by.

Cheers for the advice , I have already ordered me the cree t6 cos it looked so good for £20. Even if I don't use it for commuting It will come in useful for camping etc. Im still trying to decide if im gonna order me the moon 330 as its £33 on wiggle at the moment.

OP
OP
S

Sim2003

They are ace mate , The T6 is real good sooo bright not too sure if I'll use them all the time though. Got me the moon 330 which is great quality too I like how it mounts to the handle bar stem so you adjust the tilt very easy. Bought me a cheap rear light too that has lasers that shine on road , thought it was a nice idea they seem good for the lasers , the lights on them aren't too bright though. will do the job.

Top Bottom