changed my route and had a lovely ride for a change

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Jaguar, 5 May 2010.

1. Jaguar

Jaguar New Member

I usually ride to work on the shared cycle path/footpath past the schools and through a park, but it is grief every day because of the mums who walk 3 or 4 abreast and the dogwalkers who will not move aside for a cyclist.

They are largely incapable of distinguishing between the pink cycle lane and the grey footpath, but I never show impatience or annoyance, and always nod, wave or say thanks when they do move aside to allow me to pass.

Over the last 2 years I have changed my bell (thinking they couldn't hear it) for a horn (too aggressive?), then to a squeaky toy (funny, but not loud enough) to another horn (which got me called "rude" last week).

So today I went the long way round, on the busy main road: and it worked out quicker because I didn't have to slow down for anyone. I arrived at work refreshed and cheerful instead of grumpy and late :wacko:

2. arallsopp

arallsopp Post of The Year 2009 winner

I hear you there. I made a decision when I started commuting to pretend the bike was a moped, and to ride it as such. No kerb hopping. No cycle paths. No squeezing through on the kerb side. No RLJs.

Result is I get on better, get there quicker, and seem to get better treatment from the other road users. I do use ASLs, but then, so do the mopeds... :wacko:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice