Changed rear wheel bearings, wheel far too stiff, help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
6000 miles for a wheel set? Really? To say that surprises me is an understatement, my old mavic MA2's with veloce hubs on my winter bike lasted about 25000 before I changed them and that was only because I changed to the fulcrums on my bianchi and used the ambrosio's from there on the winter bike.

I can only assume I didn't press the bearings in far enough although they looked pretty well fitted to me. I used a piece of studding, a 20mm socket one end and a 21mm the other, the non freehub end needed the smaller socket, two nuts and washers. I fitted the bearings in place and tightened the nuts down so pressing the bearings in. I kept tightening the nuts as far as I could before I felt they couldn't go in any further without damaging anything. Looking through the bearing/hub the centre tube seemed in line with no gap, so it looked, as far as I could see, exactly the same as when I removed it.

Fitting the freehub was a bit fiddly but pressing two of the three pawls in with a thin screwdriver was enough to slot it home, there seemd to be a slight gap between the inner face of the freehub where the first sprocket sits and the end but that appears to be where the spoke protector would sit and i removed that at the time I fitted the wheels a year ago.

So I was pretty certain I had it all lined up and correctly in place.

I fitted the cassette sprockets and spacers exactly the same as I did when I fitted them to the wheel when I replaced the cassette earlier in the year, except this time it seems as if the lockring is sitting proud of the locknut.

When I fit the same cassette and lockring to the old wheel the locknut is further out than the lockring.

I'll try new bearings yet again!

Crimmey

I've had this exact same problem in the past on a DT swiss 240 hub but no idea how I fixed it :sad: SOrry I know its no help. I might have taken it to the LBS in the end so if you have no joy Ill go and ask him. THe tube between the bearings you say was loose in your OP, which it is supposed to be, is it still loose? If not it might be pressing against the bearings, even though its alligned?

gbb

Legendary Member
Well i think i reproduced your problem today oldgrey...:blush: ..maybe.

After removing my cassette etc the other day, i threw it back together and put the bike in the shed.

Went out this morning for a few miles, jumped on the bike...:wacko: huh, it all seemed so stiff. If i backpedalled, the chain on top slackened, turn the cranks by hand and there was a lot of resistance. pun the wheel, it just slowed to a quick stop.

Looked at the cassette to dropout gap and there wasn't any. Oh, scoot back to the house, back wheel out and i could see a gap between the 12 and the 13. I must have been distracted when re-assembling and forgotten to tighten the lockring because it was loose.

Now its all tightened and running fine and i can see the cassette/dropout gap is more like 4 or 5mm, not the 1mm i mentioned earlier.

The outcomes remarkably similar to yours, although you did tighten your lockring, but was something out of line perhaps ?
Just goes to show how easy it is :whistle: :blush:

OP
OP
oldgreyandslow
Sorted !!!

I didn't realise the two lock nuts on the spindle were different (doh!) one sits further out than the other because it has a bit of a shoulder unthreaded, which makes it sit out a couple of mm, this has to go on the drive side. I assembled it with this on the non drive side! Twat!! I know :blush:

Swapped lock nuts and its all good.

Oops!

gbb

Legendary Member
Sorted !!!

I didn't realise the two lock nuts on the spindle were different (doh!) one sits further out than the other because it has a bit of a shoulder unthreaded, which makes it sit out a couple of mm, this has to go on the drive side. I assembled it with this on the non drive side! Twat!! I know :blush:

Swapped lock nuts and its all good.

Oops!

Twat nothing !!! i didnt realise that :ohmy: :biggrin:
TBF, i always lay my bits out in the order it came off, but thats habit through work, working on stuff that you don't have in depth knowledge of, it just makes re-asssembly easier.

Gald you got it sorted. Working in mechanics, i always learned...it's never (or rarely) the worst case scenario, but it's the worst case scenario you always think of at first.

Top Bottom