Changing a 12-23 cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jwaltz86

Bike novice here looking for some advice. Been riding a 50/34 compact with 12-23 and been really struggling on long hilly rides. Want to change the 12-23 to something that gives me more gears to play with on hills. Used to have a triple and spent nearly whole rides in middle ring so want something that gives me similar range. Any suggestions? Also is there anything to consider in terms of compatibility when buying new cassette or simply case of taking old one off and new one on? Ones ive been looking at are shimano 105 which is what i have now. Planned on taking to LBS to have this done. Thanks!

A 12-27 would give you a fairly low gear without there being too big a jump between gears even on a 9 speed (you don't say what speed you're running), it would also be ok with a short cage rear mech. Any Shimano compatible cassette will be fine as long as it's the same speed i.e 8,9,10 or 11. It's a simple 5 minute job to swap a cassette over, you just need a lock ring tool and chain whip.

OP
OP
J

jwaltz86

Apologies im running a 10 speed. Much difference between 12-27 and 11-28? Just tempted with extra lower gear on latter as might take bike on a euro trip, or would there be too big a jump between gears? Thanks

User269

Bike novice here looking for some advice. Been riding a 50/34 compact with 12-23 and been really struggling on long hilly rides. Want to change the 12-23 to something that gives me more gears to play with on hills. Used to have a triple and spent nearly whole rides in middle ring so want something that gives me similar range. Any suggestions? Also is there anything to consider in terms of compatibility when buying new cassette or simply case of taking old one off and new one on? Ones ive been looking at are shimano 105 which is what i have now. Planned on taking to LBS to have this done. Thanks!
If you're planning on going to your LBS about this, why not leave it to them to advise what cassette will work (possibly as low as 32ish), and whether or not you'll need a longer reach rear mech?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You'll probably need to change to a 32t at least to feel much difference. You will need a long or med cage derailleur though and maybe a longer chain. A 105 med is about forty quid.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Apologies im running a 10 speed. Much difference between 12-27 and 11-28? Just tempted with extra lower gear on latter as might take bike on a euro trip, or would there be too big a jump between gears? Thanks
12-27 would feel a lot lower than your present set up, in fact a short cage mech will be ok with a 30t sprocket long as you avoid the big ring/big sprocket combination. Forget about an 11t small sprocket, you just don't need a gear that big and it will be a waste of space.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
12-27 would feel a lot lower than your present set up, in fact a short cage mech will be ok with a 30t sprocket long as you avoid the big ring/big sprocket combination. Forget about an 11t small sprocket, you just don't need a gear that big and it will be a waste of space.
+1
I run an 11-28 and i would not even get into the 11 sprocket unless i was over 35 mph , down hill mind !

OP
OP
J

jwaltz86

Cheers for input guys. Just dug out manual and says rear capacity is 33, so pretty sure im right in thinking both 12-27 and 11-28 will work. Found them both in shimano 105 for around £20 online. Not expecting to fly up hills after its changed but hoping to notice some difference!

John the Canuck

..a long way from somewhere called Home..
+1
I run an 11-28 and i would not even get into the 11 sprocket unless i was over 35 mph , down hill mind !

ditto - in fact i removed an 11-32 8speed from my Trek hybrid as the 'steps' were too large
and fitted an 8speed 13-30......works fine with a medium rear mech
and 13 on a 48T triple is fast enough for me downhill - after that i just coast....^_^

Top Bottom