Changing a gear cable on Sora shifters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
How easy is it? I have done all sorts of jobs on bikes, changing groupsets, trueing wheels, replacing spokes, all sorts of servicing jobs but never changed a gear cable on STI levers. The cable for the front mech is fraying at the point where it clamps onto the mech and needs changing. Easy, or not.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Paulus said:
How easy is it? I have done all sorts of jobs on bikes, changing groupsets, trueing wheels, replacing spokes, all sorts of servicing jobs but never changed a gear cable on STI levers. The cable for the front mech is fraying at the point where it clamps onto the mech and needs changing. Easy, or not.
Dead easy.

Go to the Park Tools website for a step by step.

Paulus said:

Changing the cables is much easier than the things you've done so far its just a case of pulling the brake slightly, removing the end cap, disconnecting the cable and pulling it out fitting the new one is just the reverse but greasing the wire before you insert it and cutting with cable cutter it to length once fitted and fitting an end cap. This guide may help.

gbb

Legendary Member
Changing the cable...easy, but then you've too get the cable tension right. Its a bit daunting at first, but something we should all be able to do really. Again, follow the Shimano docs or Sheldon Brown instructions etc etc

jpembroke

I was just about to ask that. I know that shifters often come with cables fitted but even then you'd pull the cables back through in order to feed them through the outers.

D

Deleted member 1258

Changed the rear mech cable on my Dawes Giro 300 last week, no more difficult than the downtube shifters I have done in the past.

jpembroke

Drop it on to smallest chainring, release cable from bolt at front mech, push cable out of barrel in STi, put in a new one, fix it at bolt, cut with about 4-5cm spare, add crimp cap. Job done!

OP
OP
Paulus

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Dave5N said:
How did you manage to change the groupset without changing the cable?

Changed from Tiagra to 105, but already had ultegra shifters so only had to change the BB, chain rings and front mech and rear cassette. The cables stayed and only had to adjust them as required. Thanks for the replies.

Top Bottom