Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Upside own every time

Votes: 64 67.4%
  • Upside down only if I can protect the hoods /grips

Votes: 10 10.5%
  • Doesn't happen as I use slimes or equivalent

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
After a few recent responses to posts on changing a rear flat and the advice NEVER to upend the bike which personally I thought amusing, I thought I'd try to find out how many use that method using a straw poll.

After seeing this method used on a few occasions, I agree that it is easier, usually because there's a buddy to hold the bike while the flat is repaired using whichever method.
I have tried this a few times but usually on my own and really don't want to damage the rear mech or throw it out of alignment.
Since one time having my rear mech sink into a muddy grass verge then getting covered in loads mud as well as dirty grease, I now spin the bike over onto the bars/ hoods and change it in a jiffy.

This may bring some neighs and other forms of dismay over my methods, but they suit me and achieve what I need with minimum fuss and gearing that runs true and sweet as it did before the flat.

Will be good to get an idea of how many are like me from the poll.

OP
OP
TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD

Guru
My apologies for not proofing the poll questions!

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Even on a maintenance stand when I took the wheel off the other day it was more kerfuffle than with it upended. On the roadside, upside down always. There's always something around to protect the saddle and the bike just sits there patiently waiting for the wheel with the patched tube to be replaced.

Can't answer the poll as I'm on Tapatalk, but upside down every time! I may be an amateur, but I'm an amateur that knows that upside down I can have the wheel on and off in a few seconds with the bike upside down. Right way up makes that over a minute, with appropriate cursing :smile:

Sara_H

Guru
Why would you not upend it?

I've only ever had one puncture in the wild, I use marathons and slime tubes, but my son got a puncture on our mini tour. I upended it streight away - which was a good plan as it gave the damsel in distress signal to a passing chap who had the correct tool :blush: and had it sorted in about ten minutes - would have taken me ages!

Hip Priest

Veteran
I never knew there was anything wrong with upending a bike. Does it actually pose a danger, or is it just a velominati-type thing? (Y'know, the pros never upend their bikes so neither should we).

I always do it, but I try to do it on a soft surface to protect the hoods / saddle.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I never put the bike upside down.
Don't want any crap on or damage to the saddle, handlebar tape or levers.

musa

Über Member
each to their own...i always found whipping wheel off was easy...easier to align wheel but hey thats just me :whistle:

If I'm out I always put the bike upside down, I just have to remember to remove items from my bars :shy: . I wouldn't feel right asking somebody to hold my bike. Fortunately things on my stem (mainly the garmin) are off the ground when the bike is upside down. And fortunately the last time I changed a rear flat I'd got home before I noticed it :blush:

musa

Über Member
hold on there might be a flaw

do those who upside down their bike....for instance i have qr as do most
is that (the wheel) taken off before you upend it or after?

what procedure do you take?

Top Bottom