Changing Brake Pads?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adasta

I'm not sure if I'm being an idiot but...

I bought some Kool Stop replacement brake pads because the brakes on my bike are rubbish. When I removed the block it seemed to be entirely moulded rather than having a pin that held the pad in place. Do I need to buy something else since I can't see any way of being able to prise off the original pad from the base.

I have a Giant Cypress FS - can't find any info online (reassuring...) but here's the spec of a very similar model

2011-03-16174322.jpg

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Er ... the picture appears to be of cantilever or V brake pads, whilst the bike in your link has disc brakes. They are not the same fitting or shape.

OP
OP
Adasta

Adasta

Here's a picture of my bike model. As I say, there I can't find the spec online. I knew that the DX was a similar model, but should've checked before posting the link. The link has been removed.

I'm not sure if I'm being an idiot but...

I bought some Kool Stop replacement brake pads because the brakes on my bike are rubbish. When I removed the block it seemed to be entirely moulded rather than having a pin that held the pad in place. Do I need to buy something else since I can't see any way of being able to prise off the original pad from the base.

The majority of v brake blocks are like that a complete unit, there's nothing really wrong with that, kool stop and many manufacturers make them like that, you just need to buy a replacement block and swap the whole unit. Alternatively you can spend a little more and get the cartridge/ insert type pads with holders. If you've bought the said cartridge type of pads you'll need to buy some holders also the first time (I don't know if you can buy the holder separately though).

Edit the wiggle page on Koolstop may clarify

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
sounds like you might have got kool stop v brake cartridge pads like these or these when what you want is more like this or this

It is difficult to see from your brake block photo if there is a metal holder on the back of the current pads.

OP
OP
Adasta

Adasta

pretty good ime but it is faffage. I hate faffage.

alternatively buy a set of pads and holders from Dot bike, or wiggle if they sell them, and keep the ones you have as spares.

Yeh that's what I did in the end; I think it's the most practical thing to do.

Thanks for the advice.

Top Bottom