Changing brake types.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
I've been toying with trying to change the spec of my old road bike, to be near enough a hybrid so I have an alternative to the roady.

After a quick test of getting a 32mm tyre onto said road bike (Spesh Secteur Elite), the only issue in terms of space was the brake callipers rubbing the tyre, otherwise the frame appeared to be able to take the wider tyre.

What I want to know, is is it at all possible to change from a Caliper brake, to either cantilever or V brakes to avoid the rubbing? Is it a case of buying the correct levers, cables and brakes and replacing them, or are there any glaringly obvious pitfalls that I am not aware of? The bike had drop bars as is - would these also need replacing to accommodate the correct levers?

My cheapish shopping list to do this on a budget would be the below. If it's not really worth doing then I'll be looking at getting an entry level hybrid/touring bike which I'd rather avoid as space is also an issue here.

Tyres: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schwalbe-marathon-touring-tyre-greenguard/rp-prod69133
2 x £15.99

Brakes: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-deore-t610-v-brake/rp-prod107375
2 x £17.99

Levers: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-deore-t610-trekking-v-brake-levers/rp-prod108828
1 x £20.49

Tim Hall

Caliper brakes fix to the frame by a bolt through the fork crown. V brakes and cantilever brakes fix to the frame via posts brazed to the forks or seat stays. A bike built for caliper brakes is unlikely to have posts as well. So, no, it's not really possible.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Had it been a steel bike, your friendly local framebuilder could have put canti or V bosses on (maybe £250, incl respray), but with an aluminium frame there's nothing you can do.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
It may be possible to find a brake with a slightly different shape that doesn't foul the tyre. Probably less meaty is n design. Look at Tektro.

Anyone onow whether a slightly deeper drop brake might be more generously curved?
Alternatively, fit 28mm tyres....

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Strange i have fitted 700x32 with shimano 105 calipers and theres no issues could it be the brake block holders? Any chance of a picture?
Didn't take one when I had the tyre in it, but the rubbing only happens when the brakes are pulled on

Attachments

• 20170429_163047.jpg
    20170429_163047.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 30

davidphilips

Veteran
well thats got me beat i just dont know why theres no clearence i was hoping that perhaps the brake blocks had some sort of wing on them facing the tyre?

Just fitted 700x32 to a bike i bought yesterday morning it had campagnolo mirage calipers and there was ample room even changed the calipers and fitted non branded calipers and holding them beside 105s they look very similar and theres still clearence?

Attachments

• 100_8510[1].JPG
    100_8510[1].JPG
    175.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_8511[1].JPG
    100_8511[1].JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 100_8512[1].JPG
    100_8512[1].JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 100_8513[1].JPG
    100_8513[1].JPG
    126.7 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
well thats got me beat i just dont know why theres no clearence i was hoping that perhaps the brake blocks had some sort of wing on them facing the tyre?

Just fitted 700x32 to a bike i bought yesterday morning it had campagnolo mirage calipers and there was ample room even changed the calipers and fitted non branded calipers and holding them beside 105s they look very similar and theres still clearence?

The width of the rim will have an effect on the height of the tyre.

Thanks - I assume I can get a smaller rim that I can shift the hubs/cassette too etc. To make it all fit?

davidphilips

Veteran
just thinking about it and can only think that as boydj said its the height of the tyre thats an issue so than trying smaller rims or changing bike frame all expensive perhaps the best solution would be to try a 700x28 or leave bike as is and buy another bike, nothing wrong with having an extra bike?

Sorry theres does not seem an easy way to fit 32s, but looks like your frame is designed for smaller tyres.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
There's no blanket rule. Different 32mm tyres have different overall heights based in the rim width, thickness of rubber, tyre construction and all the rest. That's without getting involved with the clearances built into the frame. I'd just fit 28mm tyres, and avoid a world of grief.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
just thinking about it and can only think that as boydj said its the height of the tyre thats an issue so than trying smaller rims or changing bike frame all expensive perhaps the best solution would be to try a 700x28 or leave bike as is and buy another bike, nothing wrong with having an extra bike?

Sorry theres does not seem an easy way to fit 32s, but looks like your frame is designed for smaller tyres.

There's no blanket rule. Different 32mm tyres have different overall heights based in the rim width, thickness of rubber, tyre construction and all the rest. That's without getting involved with the clearances built into the frame. I'd just fit 28mm tyres, and avoid a world of grief.

Thanks both. Ultimate goal was to make this a little more comfortable to take off road, I can probably get some treaded 28mm tyres and see how that goes, otherwise N+1 time may be on the horizon.

boydj

Legendary Member
Thanks - I assume I can get a smaller rim that I can shift the hubs/cassette too etc. To make it all fit?
A wider rim would reduce the height of the tyre, so it's the side clearance that comes into question. Given that the current fashion is for wider rims anyway, you just have to make sure that the frame has the clearance to handle a wider rim.

A wider rim would allow a larger tyre and therefore lower pressures and a bit more comfort.

Top Bottom