changing cassette and chain ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lonewalker

Hi im putting my bike in for a service i know i need a new chain but how do you know when its time for a new cassette there is some wear on both front and back my bike is 4 years old now

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Hi im putting my bike in for a service i know i need a new chain but how do you know when its time for a new cassette there is some wear on both front and back my bike is 4 years old now
I could be wrong, but I think that the widely accepted wisdom is that if your chain has stretched to plus 1.0% of its original length, you should replace both the chain and the cassette. If it's stretched to just plus 0.75%, only the chain needs to go unless there are other problems. Get a chain wear indicator tool...about £7.

Others may correct me.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Sounds about right- you will know you need a new cassette when the chain starts skipping in the gears, or if you've not bothered changing it soon enough once your chain has started 'stretching'. If you change the chain soon enough once it starts going you can get 3 chains out of a cassette. Chain checker tool on Evans at £3.59 (you have no excuse now).
Your front rings will probably be fine unless it's a high miler- they look more worn due to the way the teeth are cut to aid shifting.

If the teeth look like this (see middle chainring) you have left it too late. (not my bike I will add!)

IMG_0134.JPG

But seriously, I take the 0.75% and 1% thing with a pinch of salt. There is very little difference between the 2 on chain tools and one chain tool can say you are over 1% and another will say you have not reached 0.75% stretch... My current one is an over-estimator, so when the chain tool fits at 1%, the chain is replaced and after the 2nd or 3rd new chain, the cassette or chain rings are replaced as needed.

(The photo above is my OH's bike. He does not clean the chain often, was on his 3rd chain as it was (though only 2,000 miles covered) and I had taken matters in to my own hands to get his bike operational again after he complained his chain was slipping :wacko: and I was fed up of the noise his rear hub was making when we were out cycling together!)

compo

Veteran
I have one of the type of chain checkers Helston90 recommends. It shows 75% wear on a new chain before it is even fitted. I guess the buy cheap, buy twice applies here. It was not the one from linked to from Evens I must make clear but unbranded from Ebay!

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Always keep your old chains. I do cos if you fit a new one and it jumps due to sprocket wear you can then fit a part worn one which may be OK
What I do is give em a good clean and put them into an old jam jar covering/ submerging them in oil
Changing a cassette/freewheel is not cheap and this trick can put that off for quite a while whilst allowing a hack bike to keep on rolling though not if the wear is as bad as SatNavs piccies.
This can also make you popular with workmates who ride BSO's when they say my chains nackered and you can reply "I've got an old un you can have come round and I'll give it a go" that's got me more than a few drinks and a lot of kudos with workmates over the years.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
to add to the above, always keep your 'missing link'...always useful to have a spare link with your puncture repair kit, helped ,e a few times...

Top Bottom