Changing cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martyncharles

Hi all, I have just bought a cheap rear wheel to use on a turbo trainer so I can switch back and forth between indoors and out. Current set up is an 8 speed 12-26 index, the wheel I have bought is a screw on and am struggling to find a cassette that matches. Is it more important to match the index or speed? I am near enough a beginner and have a beginner road bike, only plan on keeping it a year before upgrading, any help would be great!!

I may stand corrected, but I dont think you can get an 8sp screw on (freewheel)

though this may be what you are looking for info is a bit scant 13-28 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Starlit-Bicycle-Cycling-Sprocket-Freewheel/dp/B00J686HJK

albion

Guru
Just get the 13-28 screw on freewheel (not really called a cassette) or whatever is cheapest.
Don't use the big 28 but if you do, test first.

Believe it or not, you can now even get 9 speed !
Certainly something new to be quite wary of when buying a 'bargain bike'.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
If I were you I would measure the width of the hub against the rear dropouts of your bike to make sure they match first.

Because 8 speed freewheels are very rarely used, chance is your wheel was set up for a 5/6/7 speed freewheel. The implication is that if you screw an 8 speed freewheel (which is wider) on, various unfortunate phenomena, such as the drive-side locknut barely outside the freewheel leaving the freewheel fouling the frame, and/or the chain fouling the seat stay when on smallest sprocket may arise.

Since you have already got the wheel, we are where we are. If you don't know what speed the wheel was dished and set up for then you will have to do some guesstimation, and if you think it can take a 32mm wide cogset without the above issues then I would suggest you get e.g. a 7 speed 13-25 freewheel - it has the benefit of being narrower than an 8 while will index well enough with your 8 speed shifter once limit screws and cable tension have been adjusted (which most probably can't be avoided whichever freewheel you get anyway).

Top Bottom