Changing chainset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grellboy

Über Member
Thinking about buying a second hand bike for TTs. Chainset is only 50/34. If I change it for something like 53/39 will it be a straightforward swap - literally old off, new on - or do I have to source one that matches the bottom bracket etc?

T4tomo

Guru
yes its pretty straightforward, but also yes, you can't put a square taper chainset on an octolink BB, but as long as long as you swap contemporary shimano / campag for similar vintage you will be fine.

Sharky

Guru
What's the rear cassette? If it goes to an 11 sprocket, then a 50t front should be fine. You will have 120" gear with a 50x11, which is a biggish gear.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Or just stick bigger rings on the existing chainset.

What's the rear cassette? If it goes to an 11 sprocket, then a 50t front should be fine. You will have 120" gear with a 50x11, which is a biggish gear.
Assuming its a standard compact then it s should be able to run a 52 , i have seen 54s at sjs cycles with 110 bcd too .
as sharky says a 50 x11 is a pretty big gear anyway , at 90 rpm gives you 32 mph a 52 gives you 33, 53 x 11 = 34

si_c

Guru
Pretty much as above. You just need to make sure you match the chainset to the current BB type, so shimano HT2 chainsets can be swapped for any other.

Depending on the chainset though it may be cheaper to just change the chainrings to the larger size, 53/39 rings do tend to be a bit cheaper than compact. You'll also need to adjust the front derailleur as it'll probably foul the larger ring.

Top Bottom