Changing disc brake rotors.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
The discs on my Trek Valencia hybrid seem to be rivetted onto the flange.They dont need replacing just yet but how do you get them off when they do?

003-3.jpg

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
you need to remove that splined lockring on the hub.
a cassette removal tool is the same size.

happy fettling

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Steve Austin said:

happy fettling

Does that mean I have to replace the complete splined flange arrangement or can I drill it off once removed from the bike?

Armegatron

Steve Austin said:

happy fettling

OOoooh I didnt know they were the same size...:ohmy:
Guess what Ill be doing tonight B)

monkeypony

Banjo said:
Does that mean I have to replace the complete splined flange arrangement or can I drill it off once removed from the bike?

You have centre lock rotors. You should replace them with new centre lock rotors.

They are not designed to come apart.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

monkeypony said:
You have centre lock rotors. You should replace them with new centre lock rotors.

They are not designed to come apart.

Ok cheers. Just had a look on chainreaction and they have them on there.Pity there not bolt on ones at half the price but never mind its only money B)

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

Steve Austin said:

happy fettling

Thanks for the tip, at least I wont need to buy another tool as well then.

There not ready for replacement yet but looks like I have to start saving my pocket money.

battered

Guru
Strange layout. Never seen that before.

The wear rate on discs is minimal, loads less than on rim brakes so by the time you have worn this out the chances are the hub will be worn out and the spokes will be halfway worn through, so you'll be in for a new wheel and you can have any discs that fit it.

I've only worn out 2 rear wheels in 15000 miles of on and off road riding so you may have some pedalling to do first!

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

i should think the wear rate on brakes would depend on how hilly the area you ride.

battered

Guru
I'm sure it does, amongst other things. My mountain bike brakes wear fastest when it's wet and muddy and everything is filthy. I once wore out a nearly new set of rim brake blocks on a sopping wet ride round Otley/Harewood, and my discs last longer but take a beating when they are full of grit and mud. Then again, everything suffers when the bike's up to its axles in muddy water.

OP
OP
Banjo

Banjo

I guess theres loads of factors afecting the brake wear ,I dont do much off road apartfrom a few rough track shortcuts now and then and the odd gravel road.Looking at Steves link there not that expensive anyway .

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Top Bottom