Changing forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zelos

Am thinking of changing my forks on my Giant contend which have a 50mm rake. Would it be possible to fit a carbon fork with a 35mm rake or is it a no go

Globalti

Legendary Member
You mean a rigid carbon fork? 35mm won't make much of a difference but you will find the bike turns in better thanks to the stiffer fork. It will be lighter obs.

You don't need boingy forks unless you're riding down steps and over big rocks.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It'll make the steering slower. This may not be ideal for dodging obstacles ("path selection", some call it) but means you can ride hands-off easily. You'll definitely feel the difference as 50mm to 35mm is a huge jump.

Generally you want offroad bikes to have fairly quick steering and a TT or audax bike to have slow steering. Road racing bikes are all much of a muchness in steering geometry because it's important that a peloton naturally takes bends as one.

Tourers and tandems should have quick steering but that's for a different reason; lean steer is a bad thing for these bikes. You don't want the bike to wag its tail if you ride out of the saddle with a load on, or if your stoker scratches his/her back.

Last edited:
It'll make the steering slower. This may not be ideal for dodging obstacles ("path selection", some call it) but means you can ride hands-off easily. You'll definitely feel the difference as 50mm to 35mm is a huge jump.

Generally you want offroad bikes to have fairly quick steering and a TT or audax bike to have slow steering. Road racing bikes are all much of a muchness in steering geometry because it's important that a peloton naturally takes bends as one.

Tourers and tandems should have quick steering but that's for a different reason; lean steer is a bad thing for these bikes. You don't want the bike to wag its tail if you ride out of the saddle with a load on, or if your stoker scratches his/her back.
You mean a rigid carbon fork? 35mm won't make much of a difference but you will find the bike turns in better thanks to the stiffer fork. It will be lighter obs.

This'll confuse the op. Which is correct?

Globalti

Legendary Member
When I went from Rebas to rigid eXotic carbon forks the only difference I noticed was that the bike turned in to corners better. I put this down to stiffness but yes, it could have been geometry.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
You can go and calculate the difference in trail but this doesn't tell you much about how it feels. I have two forks for the Holdsworth and if I can measure the offsets (which is very difficult) I might be able to give an example. The original fork makes the bike steer like a supertanker but the replacement makes it more like any other bike.

You can ride most things and get used to them.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Accepted wisdom is that a shorter longer rake/offset gives a twitchier ride - more manoeuvrable at the expense of stability. But then if you're replacing a suspension fork with a rigid one there is a lot more geometry to consider. The crown-to-axle length for example, plus the fact that the trail and head tube angle of a suspension fork changes with load and tends to sharpen up under braking, whereas a rigid fork will stay the same whatever the load.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

Zelos

Yes its a rigid fork for a road bike mate

Top Bottom