Changing from 48-38-28 to 42-32-22T - what differences will I notice?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm looking at buying a Subway 1 for everyday commuting. I've been used to riding my mtb which has 48-38-28 chainrings and 13-34 at the back. I find it fine for general cycling and trail work, and don't find 48-13 too hard going on the flat. The Subway 1 has 42-32-22T up front - not sure what at the back, but think the smallest is a 12.

What differences am I going to notice in my cycling (gearing-wise) between the two? Is the Subway going to seem restricted?

Manonabike

Über Member
I think the subway 1 is 12 -32 at the back.

What difference? easier / slower (higher cadence though) going uphill and less speed on the flat.

I have a 30 / 32 and I find that ok for tackling most of the hills here so a 22 / 32 should be soooooo muccccchhhhhh easssssiiiiieeeeerrrrrr:biggrin:

MajorMantra

48/13 and 42/12 are only about 5 gear inches apart, which isn't a huge amount. Whether that matters depends on how fast you can spin and how fast you want to be able to descend. By the way, if you're using 48/13 on the flat that suggests you're grinding, (that's only about 60-70rpm at around 17mph) which isn't good for your knees.

This and this are helpful.

Matthew

Top Bottom