Changing from SPD to SPD-SL

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Now the weather has warmed up I find myself out of the winter boots, and back into shoes. I did my metric century at the weekend and the pain in my feet was really not nice. Always ridden SPD's, never had an issue in the winter boots (Shimano MW81's), but the shoes (M060's) left a of pain directly above the cleats. Removing the insole and placing an old M&S gift card over the mounting helps a little, but I have zero confidence in a long ride in them.
I've read about 'hot spots' which SPD's can cause over longer distances, and wonder if this is what I'm experiencing.
Anyway, going to try SPD-SL's and see if it helps, any tips for the change over, or do they work the same?

S-Express

any tips for the change over, or do they work the same?

Not sure what you mean by 'work the same' - they do the same job, if that's what you mean..

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Are the winter boots stiffer than the shoes ? you might benefit from a stiffer sole.
I think so, I spent some money on the boots, the shoes were the cheapest Shimano ones available at the time as I was just trying clipless.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Quite happy with Shimano RT82s for long mileage, SPDs looking like road shoe. The soles seem pretty stiff to me. You can get them for about £65 now, and a pair will last me about 10,000 miles (cleats and all).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I think so, I spent some money on the boots, the shoes were the cheapest Shimano ones available at the time as I was just trying clipless.

And there's the problem. Get a decent pair of stiffer soled shoes. Other wise you will need new pedals,, new cleats (which wear out much faster the SPD's), Cleat Covers and shoes.

OP
OP
cosmicbike

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
And there's the problem. Get a decent pair of stiffer soled shoes. Other wise you will need new pedals,, new cleats (which wear out much faster the SPD's), Cleat Covers and shoes.
Any recommendations?

arch684

Veteran
SPD-SLs give you more of a platform and feel better IMO until you have to get off the bike and walk

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Each to their own as they say. What fits and is comfy for you would not necessarily be comfy for others. I get on with Specialized and Spuik, but not Northwave or Shimano.
I've got fairly narrow feet, so maybe that's why the Shimanos suit me. They certainly aren't wide.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I've got narrow feet. Sidi and Shimano have always fitted well, specialized not so much.

Best bet is to try out a few different makes/models

Top Bottom