Changing Front Forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
What is your frame?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Yes it will fit fine, but it really would be a crime to bolt some 5lb forks to that frame which probably only weighs 3lbs.

You'll be adding 4.5 lbs to the bike which really would make a really negative effect on it.

Why do you need Front suspension?

RedBike

Those forks are for 26" wheels, whereas you bike takes 700c wheels.

Luckly there isn't much of a difference between 26" wheels fitted with large knobbly tyres and 700c wheels fitted with slick tyres so you will probably get away with it.

I don't think your frames geometry has been corrected to run with suspension forks, so jacking the front end up by 100mm is likely to screw the handelling up. Perhaps you would be better off using 80mm forks instead?

Talking of larger tyres. A wider tyre will absorb vibration /small bumps better than most suspension forks will.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
A 700cc wheel with a slick tyre is the same circumference as a 26" wheel with a knobbly tyre. so that fork will work absolutely fine

OP
OP
J

Jim77

The reason for it is that I want to use it for two types of riding, for cyclepaths when riding with my girlfriend when she is on her hybrid but also for mountain biking with my mate. I can't afford 2 bikes, but more importantly I don't have space for 2 bikes. So I want to be able convert my BadBoy into a hardtail MTB. I am therefore going to stick some mtb wheels on it (and keep the other set for tarmac use). It is meant to take these wheels according to this.

Although I would like to keep the bike light enough for me to lift it on and off my roof rack with my weedy arms, I am not a hardcore speed demon so the weight is not a major issue. Are there any other shocks you would recommend?

RedBike

I'm not sure what will happen with 26" wheels and suspension forks. The chances are you'll be fine; but it is begining to sounding like a complete bodge.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Redbike, the badboy is a MTB frame with 700cc wheels. it will work fine with 26" wheels.

You need a front fork with lockout. Locked out for the roads. bouncy for off road. I'll come back to you with a fork

Moonlight

I does seem like such a crime! But needs must be met. Steve knows his stuff, I'm sure he'll sort you out fine.

OP
OP
J

Jim77

Steve Austin said:
Redbike, the badboy is a MTB frame with 700cc wheels. it will work fine with 26" wheels.

You need a front fork with lockout. Locked out for the roads. bouncy for off road. I'll come back to you with a fork

Great thanks a lot for your help so far.

Whilst you could fit MTB (26") wheels into the frame (designed for road 700c) the relative locations of the braking surfaces could well be different. This could play havoc with your ability to line up your brake pads. This will need some careful checking before forking out (pun apology!) on a load of kit.

IMO there's no need to have front suspension on a mountain bike - a fully rigid bike merely means you have to focus on smooth descending and being 'light' when out on the trails. Go uphill and you'll be thanking the weight saving. [BTW I still race on a rigid MTB so have a slightly biased view...]

Why not buy some fairly fat 29er tyres (the latest MTB fad is to use 700c rims with chunky tyres) for your bike and see how you get on? Something like these perhaps:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20769
You could then upgrade to some more heavy duty wheels in the future - a set for MTB and a set for on-road?

HTH
S

OP
OP
J

Jim77

Moonlight said:
I does seem like such a crime! But needs must be met. Steve knows his stuff, I'm sure he'll sort you out fine.

Does it? What would you do if you were me?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
simon_adams_uk said:
Whilst you could fit MTB (26") wheels into the frame (designed for road 700c) the relative locations of the braking surfaces could well be different. This could play havoc with your ability to line up your brake pads. This will need some careful checking before forking out (pun apology!) on a load of kit.

Did you happen to notice the Badboy has got Disc brakes?

Top Bottom